I am in social limbo. A few months ago I was in I guess, "professional" limbo with the job/school thing, but at least I knew I had my friends.
3 nights this week now, I have stood friends up because I think " ok, I'll just shut my eyes for a minute and the phone will wake me up when it's time to go". And then I wake up, turn over, and see that it's 4:30 AM, and I've missed 4 calls.
I hate that my body shuts down at 11 PM. I hate that sometimes I turn the radio onto Kidd Kraddick on my way to work just to hear other voices and to laugh at something besides banter about work, at work. Even though I love my new black tafeta skirt from banana republic, I hate that the only place I have to wear it is to French class.
At least the kiddos complimented it.
Since I, the nerd, woke up at 7:30 AM on a saturday, I went to the post office to change my address. I drove by the Tomato, Lou's,...the little places that college towns have that one becomes attached to for God knows why. I actually got teary-eyed, knowing that I will never go to Mr. Chopsticks between learning & memory and stats again. I am not able to stay awake for long island iced teas and stolen cigarettes with loud 80's michael jackson in the background at Lou's on thursday nights.
I like the people I work with, but I don't really relate to them because I am not married nor do I know that much about teaching yet. I don't really relate with my college friends anymore because I'm the "tool with the full-time-job". ( Because aparently girls can be tools too. )
I finally got to hang out with Suzicardo today and that was nice, I guess. I talk a lot of shit about them being together all the time...but I remember what that was like; loving someone so much you want to spend all your time with them. Sigh. Love. What's that again?
This feeling will pass. I'm still getting used to stuff. Mayumi called and wants to go to Addison to celebrate her last day at Gap. Going to the bars in Dallas ( or pseudo-Dallas as it were ) requires pointy heels, a lot of eyeliner and lip gloss, and a wad of cash. Not me at all, but hey....maybe some young urban professional will buy me a drink. And if I spend another night falling asleep before midnight, I'm going to step in front of a bus.
Oh, Morrison bought me a pro account on flickr.com to consolidate all my pictures online. It's really nifty! See?

2 Comments:
Totally know what you mean regarding the sentimental attachment to the Tomato thing. My sister is moving to D-town tomorrow and will be in Kerr Hall. I feel so weird being the one who is NOT going to Denton, and not able to sleep till 2, wear pjs to class and have easy access to the Tomato whenever I want.
You know what I mean...it makes me feel ancient, lol. But hey, that is life, right? If only we could be permanent college students for life...without all the classes! :)
Oh, but if you go to grad school and I go to seminary, we can re-enter the college world...haha! Its a plan!
Well, I'm glad to hear teaching is going well. Blessings!
Amy, if you come to seminary in Dallas, I will so blow this popstand and move to big D! I don't know anyone our age in the city, but I'm thinking I need to move closer to work sometime before the end of the school year.
I hope everything is going well for you! Hope your sis loves Denton as we did. bye :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home