Women have a much more keen sense of smell then men. I'm sure there is a scientific reason....but I either didn't pay attention or really have no idea. I noticed that when I walk into my place of business, it smells like old cardboard boxes and plastic ( the thick kind; the kind that suffocates babies if they wear it on their heads. ) University Courtyards apartments smell like home depot....a lot of apartments smell like this; like new building material, carpet and wood. Even the outside has a smell. You've got your scorched cut grass or fruitless pear trees ( the pretty white flowery trees that kinda smell like ass ), then the ever present cigarette smell. Terrill Hall smells like mildew...the auditorium building smells like my old church. AND, whats even more fun is the way people smell. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be blind....a lot of times your other senses are heightened to make up for blindness. Could you smell a person from a distance and know who it was? Guys smell great when they get to college. I don't know what it is...but all the sudden they discover soap. Pretty soon I got to know the difference between irish spring and old spice and nivea and polo and hair gel and shaving cream....drives me crazy. ( Haha, I sound like a nympho or an OCD case...)
Anyway, where I was going with all this was, people tend to link all their senses to memories. The sense helps/enhances the memory; little synaptic pathways form in your brain when you learn and create memories. ( kind of like the whole pavlov experiment and classical conditioning; bell ---> food ----> salivate. : bell---->salivate ) So what's really cool is when something as subtle as a smell can cue a complete schema of memories....one builds on top of the other. Brains are amazing. Be good to them.
Random association of my everyday things:
cotton blossom lotion: germany
Norah Jones' 'Seven Years': driving to ESL tutoring in october
kroger poptarts: freshman year
estee lauder 'pleasures' senior year hs dates
rain and cigarettes: europe
Further seems Forever's " snowbirds": spring break roadtrip
glue and posterboards: middle school
oil of olay: my mom
This will either make all the sense in the world or no sense at all....I guess it's kind of hard to describe.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home