Sunday, April 27, 2003



You know those saturn commercials where a carful of young people drive through different "towns" that are called like, "childhood", "highschool", "college", "marriage"? I love those commercials. In them are little glimpses into what you really remember about different stages in your life. For example, in "highschool", you see just a bunch of boys and girls in prom dresses and tuxes slow dancing. You don't see people sitting in detention....writing long ass papers and getting creamed in dodge ball. That's hindsight for you. You want to remember the goodtimes...the little details that made everything worthwhile; the marrow at the core of who you are and how you got to the place you are now.

Well, I want to feel that way now -- screw hindsight. Like I said in the previous entry, everything gets into a little routine and you always have to stay a week or so ahead which tends to force you to take the present for granted. A lot of times for myself, I don't realize how good I have it until I sit down at my wit's end and contemplate the seemingly trivial events of my life. I think this is why I write. It's why I have a scrapbook. I think maybe this is why I want so desperately to keep the friends I have; I crave validation that what I do is worthwhile. And, I think a lot of people feel this way.

So if you're in the same boat...find an outlet. A friend gave me one of the best compliments I've ever received after reading some of the piddly writing I do in my spare time. He told me....that I write in color. Putting words on the page in black and white is one thing, but it takes true human experience to transform the words into technicolor imgages.

Write your life.

So with that said...forgive me for sounding american-beauty-lester-burnham-ish, but love your life. especially now -- we're in college! When else will it be socially acceptable to sleep til 2 pm, race shopping carts in the walmart parking lot, make out with strangers, drink yourself into a stupor, write papers at 4 o clock in the morning and wear pajamas and flip flops to class? Stop the unneccessary worrying. Care about the things worth caring about. Live life for yourself.

Ok, I'm sounding like a motivational speaker now which was not my intention. Actually I started writing this just to paint images from my own little life, but then I thought that was pretty self-centered. Maybe it still is pretty self-centered/ self-righteous. Oh well! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home