I think I want to get the hell out of here. Texas is not my friend right now.
Firstly, the weather. It's hot and everywhere you go you kick up dust. Everytime I open the door I sneeze about 3 times. The school districts are inferior. I am amazed by how little my students came in knowing just about the basics of the English language. Every day I pick up pages of text that have fallen out of our 8-year-old books that are "enduring" no thanks to Rick Fuckin' Perry. Oh oh oh and also, for all my toil and tears....about 500 dollars of my money goes to the fat cats in Austin. Half of that is "teacher's retirement"...but I think I need that 200 bucks a lot more now than I do when I have enough leisure to retire.
DRIVING. Yeah, some dumbfuck rear-ended me today. On Hell Highway 35. I saw it happen all in slow-motion too....the idiot was rubbernecking at another accident, of course. I braked and thought " that mofo's gonna hit me. Maybe he'll see at last minute." Wroonnngngngngng. I have no tail light now and my trunk won't shut. His stupid SUV is just fine though, and the way he was carrying on, it looks like he's going to try to pin the whole thing on me. I don't want to drive anymore. I KNOW I am a shitty driver but honest to God, this one wasn't my fault. I want to ride my bike to work and back. I wouldn't have to pay the high gas prices that are gouge-ing no thanks to pansy-ass Rita. But no one rides a bike here nor walks, unless you are poor. Because Texas, at least DFW is all about status and money and how big your fuckin' H2 Landrover-Expediti-navi-escalade road beast can get. I'm going to do everything in my power tomorrow to trade in my mangled malibu for a corolla or something. Either that, or set up a tent in my classroom.
Everything's so big and expensive. Maybe this is just part of the "real world". Maybe I'm just having bad luck. I want to actually be in France right now, drinking orangeina and watching " Les Guignols d'info"..instead of having to teach the language to urban Texan kids, of whom for the most part care more about...anything else, ever.
*beats head on desk*
I think I should just lock my door and hide out til I have some sort of a plan. Things aren't working out so great right now "going with the flow". Sorry about the excessive sailor talk.
*edited 5 minutes later* Ok, grand scheme of things. A car is a piece of metal with seats and rubber wheels. Money while vital...you really only need so much of it as to have a roof over your head and food in your tummy.
At least I'm not Nathan right now, with a spider bite the size of a silver dollar on his arse. At least I'm not Matt who had to carry Nathan to the emergency room to make sure the spreading rash coming from the bite wasn't going to kill him.
At least I have these people in my life to cheer me up and love me even if I'm a total spaz/flake/miser/drama queen.

5 Comments:
Your tent idea makes me thing of this
I also ran across this, while searching for that.
Maybe we should read it.
YES CRYSTAL!!! That book was EXACTLY what I was trying to remember the name of when I had the image of sleeping at school. I always ask my class " you know that book where the teacher tricks her kids into thinking she lives at school and sleeps on the bookshelves?" I get a lot of stares.
And I have that My First Year book, as well as about 4 others like them. I read through a lot of them this summer for my training, but right now....if I'm going to read anything, it needs to be about something other than my job.
I'm hanging in there though!
just glad to hear you are okay.
Hey I left you a longer comment on the post about Rita...but I must say, I totally agree about driving being an annoyance. Am strongly considering a bike if I do get into seminary for the spring...
AF
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home