I just got back from Iris' show at Art Six in Denton. A.maz.ing. I need to see more live music. It may sound a little hokey, but experiencing someone else performing words and notes from their own mind, heart, soul....it's spiritual. It's the most spiritual I feel anymore. There were about 5 people in the coffee shop, and when I snuck in with my junior mint mocha, she yelled out " sarah!" in the middle of her song, then closed her eyes and went right back to playing. She played Beck and Rilo Kiley covers...just her and the piano, and her own stuff is nothing short of beautiful.
I have conceded to the fact that I myself will never play piano like Ben Folds, or have a voice like Norah Jones or Jenny Lewis...so I will forever be an avid supporter and appreciator ( but not a performer ) of great music. :-)
It was great to catch up with her too. She hasn't changed a bit and turns out she lives like 5 miles away from me in Plano. I think I found another dallas buddy!
In other news, I cannot begin to talk about what has been happening at school. I'll give you a taste, though: assault, vandalism, bullying. Other teachers out there, what are you doing to combat the " that's so gay, you're freaking gay, etc" and the " nigga" issue? I was giving detentions and that wouldnt work, our lame-oid principals think they have better things to deal with than kids calling each other gay ( when I actually have really sweet and intelligent presumably gay kids in my class that I am constantly trying to protect without singling them out...it's exhausting! ) I've had the idea of a swear jar presented, but the kids thought that was laughable and I think it's against school policy. Le sigh.
Pretty soon I'm going to have a ticker couting down days left at that school. I think my brain has checked out already.
Labels: entertainment, school

1 Comments:
When I hear "gay" or "retarded", I say "We don't use that language in my classroom." And since on the first day of class I told them that one of my pet peeves was people using that language, they usually remember. And if they don't I just say "I just don't like it when people use those words in a deragatory manney, so please don't use them in here".
By now, pretty much kids correct each other, saying "Ooooooh. Ms. M doesn't like it when you say that." Or I'll say "Excuse me?" when I hear it, and they'll immediately appologize and use different language... like "I, mean, umm... that's stupid. Sorry."
Occasionally a kid will ask me why I dislike people saying those words so much and I just tell them "Those aren't the intended meanings of the words. You've just learned to use them and you don't realize how deragatory they are. If someone actually is homosexual, you can say they are gay, but if they're not, then don't call them stupid by saying they're gay." ....
Anyway, kids say it in my room sometimes, but they always appologize and correct themselves if I call them out -- but I don't embarass them in front of everyone... I just talk to them around their friends and ask them to rephrase in a more appropriate way.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home