I rented "jesus camp", a documentary about the evangelical movement and how it's being presented to kids. It did what I expected it to do...make me sad. It reminded me of all the reasons I haven't been to church in 2 years. It scares me that the message that a lot of churches are sending out is the polar opposite of what Christ was all about; war and smite vs. love and forgiveness. Worse than that is the trend of bringing politics into the mix. Shady, shady.
Hilights included the little girl praying over her bowling bowl and having it go in the gutter...but feeling better after she gave a religious tract to a slutty-looking girl......a 6-year-old chanting to glorify the line of judah ( I don't even know what that is )....
but best of all was the certain way the word "fabulous" just rolled off Ted Haggard's tongue, heh heh.
I recommend this film, no matter whatever your beliefs may be.
Labels: entertainment

5 Comments:
I just saw this the other day, and I want to encourage you that is NOT the message that most of the people I have met at seminary are trying to get across. I know I am certainly not trying to be this way in my ministry. This is an extreme portrait, but unfortunately, this is also really dominant in many of the evangelical megachurches. I may have attended those in college, but I have returned to my roots and found much encouragment, growth, and peace in the simplicity of my protestant tradition. We are not trying to beat Jesus down people's throats, we are trying to meet people where they are and share the message of Christ's love and acceptance by being as Christ would and loving all. And we are not out to convert people and beat them over the head with a Bible or whatever weird salvation comic they showed in the movie! lol. I take great comfort in Wesley's ideas of grace...we are always progressing, either moving forward or back, never perfect, yet God is always there extending the message of grace and love to all who seek. I am rambling here, but yes, basically, I wanted to say that I saw this movie with my friends at seminary and we were equally horrorfied with it. Rest assured, there are many future ministers who are not putting that message out there. I'm sure you can guess who wrote this. :) Take care, sarah.
I knew this movie would make your stomach turn as much as it did mine...I never grouped you in this group of "radicals" miss A. ;)
That movie is on my list to watch. I already know how crazy that movie is (as it has been publicized in the media) but I want to see the insanity for myself.
Regarding your comment on my blog: What do you mean, "Go to VA"?
Ah, the Line of Judah. That's what I nickname my cocaine when I snort it off the back of my Bible.
Not to be confused with the Lion of Judah, of course.
Jesus Camp is some scary shit. I saw it the day it came out. I wouldn't even classify it as a documentary. That shit is reality horror--like the Blair Witch Project but real.
Haggard though, he's recently the comedic spoil. I'd like to watch the whole thing again knowing what I know now.
The woman reminds me of Ursula from The Little Mermaid. Thankfully, people like that woman are limited in their ability to affect the world by their own stupidity and abbreviated life expectancy due to obesity.
I do feel sorry for those kids. Most of them will grow out of it as soon as they hit 14 and discover rock-n-roll and women. Or so I hope.
Adrienne: for some reason I thought I was reading Casey's quip about Prez day...( very cute :) ) y'all have or had very similar layouts and I was multi-tasking and forgot that I was clicking on links. Anyway,Casey is going to Virgina sometime this month or next. So yeah, Casey if you read this, when are you going to Virginia??
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home