People go a little too far in this town. For a year now, Dentonites have been trying to save Fry Street, a row of bars and family-owned restaurants and shops close to campus. Think like a mini Guadalupe a la Austin. A developer is going to come in and make it into starbucks and kitchy lofts and office space. The community fought for over a year to come to a compromise with the developer to no avail. Most the bars are going to move to the town square, which is a prettier and larger area anyway, so I was satisfied with that. Mr. Chopsticks moved to the center of town to a bigger, nicer, place....and with all the media attention, has a lot more business. The only place with no plans to relocate was The Tomato, a pizza place that had been around since the early 80s. I went there a lot when I was a freshman. It was dirty, smoky, and played bad music. The pizza was alright, the breadsticks were awesome.
Well, before its scheduled demolition sometime next week, some brilliant people burned it down. Notice the picture of everyone standing around...probably fresh from the bars across the street. I bet they made for a peaceful crowd for the cops.
**edit** the RC put in more pictures in the slide show...I know the photographer! I used to drink 40's and other...things...with her and other friends in college. Glorious.

2 Comments:
bruce lee and brandon lee are buried here, saw that. jimmi hendrix too but haven't seen his grave.
oh wow. first the idea of never having a mr. goodcent's giant cookie again.. and now never having a breadstick from the tomato again!? as long as the other places are being able to reestablish themselves.. the square felt more ergonomic to me anyway too.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home