(wo)man vs. wild
I had quite the adventure yesterday. Matt has made good friends with a coworker from the hospital, Ben, and his girlfriend Sasha. They are outdoorsy and adventurous ( everything Matt is and I'm not ), and Matt wanted in on that. So, he made me get off the couch and go out with them to Ray Roberts, the same lake we made it out to 2 months ago. Except this time, Ben and Sasha knew where to take us for better fishing. The mosquitos were the size of butterflies, so I re-applied the off! every 15 minutes. I still got bitten in places I didn't know could be accessable through clothes. We had to hike, with coolers of beer and all the food and fishing gear, up a hill, through the forest and down some rocks. I was dumb and wore flip-flops. The bugs and possible poison oak exposure terrified me, but I kept thinking of sexy Bear Grylles...and the fact that he eats grubs in the amazon and isn't dead yet,and I was ok. The spot Ben led us to was awesome, plenty of rocky perches, not as many bugs, clean water. We snacked and goofed around til sundown and the guys started fishing. Matt almost immediately caught his first fish in that lake...a small catfish that he threw back. It was so neat though!
The sun went down and we were too drunk and tired to climb back up the hill to the picnic tables and grill, so we made a fire on the rocks with our charcoal and cigarette lighter, and put brush on it to keep it going. I cooked a hotdog on a stick. FROM THE GROUND. And it was delicious, if not a little cold in the middle. We were about to pack it in at around 10:30P when this random boat of guys asked us if we could get on so the boat would have more weight for them to go wakeboarding, or surfing off the boat. Night surfing. Illegal, I think...but it sounded fun at the time. So, we spent the next hour or so drinking more beer on this really neat boat and watching these guys ( ex-marines) surf. They cranked metallica the whole time, it was amazing we were not approached by the boat cops. ( The only time we were approached by cops was in our fishing spot when they thought Sasha and I were underage ). Haha.
The worst part was getting back through the forest in the dark. We didn't think we'd stay so late so we had to drag the coolers up the trail with only cell-phone light. The bugs were so loud I couldn't hear...I again had to channel Bear Grylles to keep from freaking out. We came home exhausted, very dirty, sunburnt...but that was so fun! No fish to take home...but good pictures I would say.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home