Tuesday, July 17, 2007

UGGGGGGGGGUHHHHHHHHHH. This song has been going through my head since yesterday.


So instead of 9th grade ( a difficult age), I will be teaching mostly 7th graders ( an even more difficult age ). 7th grade is when those pesky hormones start showin' up. It's when kids realize that hey, they aren't cool just because their mom thinks they are. I was sooooo weird as a 7th grader. I mean, not that I'm not totally weird now, but I strived to be weird at age 13. In 6th grade I was terribly self-conscious...what if my clothes weren't cool...what if I say something in class that sounds totally retarded...I can't like that band because my friends say they suck.... I MUST have a boy go to a dance with me or I am doomed to be a lonely loser forever. Luckily in 7th grade I found friends who were *sigh* just as dorky as I and were comfortable with the dorkdom. Still, a lot of 7th grade is finding a place to belong. The skaters, the punks, the preppies, the goths....and it goes on forever. Yeah, you remember how it was. So many opportunities for utter humiliation and social death. And I, I will be a mediator in this mini-society. Weird and scary.

So much going on, why doesn't money fall out of the sky? Why of all professions did I choose the one that is notorious for short-changing its employees?

When I need to feel better about my job I watch my 'the office' dvds. I'm really relating to Pam right now. " No little girl dreams of being a receptionist." To be honest, when I was a little girl, I wanted to teach preschool just like my mommy. But, that was pretty much because you got to decorate the room all pretty and there were toys and books and snacks. I wanted to be a therapist when I was 14 because I thought since I had been to some counselors and they all sucked ass, anyone ( namely me ) could do a better job at making people feel better. I also thought at the time that counselors made a shitload of money. LPCs make decent money, but all that pretty much goes to your student loans...forever. In college I decided I would be a horrible counselor since I myself am rash and emotional, so I started learning about biofeedback and neuroscience. I'm still really interested in the brain, but in order to have a career with that you have to go to medical school. And I am sooo not motivated enough for med school. So, there you go. Teaching was the last viable option, and French...just because "it's something I can do proficiently". The majority of teachers I know stumbled upon the profession as well because they couldn't decide what else to do with their history or polisci or philosophy degree,hehe. Don't get me wrong; I love working with kids...and I do feel a calling towards adolescents. I feel like even after my masters, I will stay in a school setting.

If you read my whine-y ramblings to this point, you must be bored :).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home