Wednesday, September 28, 2005

babysarah


babysarah
Originally uploaded by sarahsblogpix.
Ok, I didn't want to just blog about my grievances. After all, I've just about made it to 23!

Above, is my mommy holding me on October 1, 1982. Already I'm beet red from screaming and being a grump. :)

A great way to deal with freaking out about the future, is to analyze the great life-shaping events of your past.

So for the next 3 days, I will be blogging about the 10 most impactful events de ma vie, ages 0-7, 7-14, 14-present.

I encourage you, reader, to do the same. This could be interesting!( If you do, leave me a comment

AGES 0-7

1. My first memory, ever.I don't remember how old I was, but I was standing up in my crib with the door to my room closed. I could hear grown-ups in the living room laughing and talking. I cried until my mom came in and picked me up. I remember she had long red nails. I was fascinated by them.

2. The birth of my sister. When I was barely 3, my parents brought home my little sister Emily. They had her wrapped in a blue duck blanket my Aunt Barbara made. I remember her embroidering it. I thought the world of this little baby, even if I got jealous of all the attention she got.

3. The little kids my mom babysat. Our families have formed lifelong friendships. I just saw my little friend ( now 22 ) Keith get married last march, when we used to play doctor in the backyard, hehe. It was wonderful to have playmates all the time.We used to ride around in my parent's big blue oldsmobile. We'd fight over the seats that had the best access to the a/c, so my mom made a spinner with all of our names on it. We'd spin the wheel to see who got to sit where, and never argued since after all, the spinner was the final word. We used to paint on the driveway with water and a paintbrush, and dance around the livingroom and play "clown show". We survived off of Chuck E. Cheese, spaghetti-os, maccaroni, and Hi-C. Man, those were the days. I may have been a shy kid, but knowing these kids taught me how to value a tight-knit group of friends.

4. Kimberlin Academy, and getting into the gifted and talented program. ( This is debatable:) ) JK, I'm proud of my education. I don't feel naturally smart, but I know I received a killer education and for that I'm lucky. I am grateful for being challenged at such a young age.

5. My maternal grandma's death. I don't honestly remember her personally, but I know how it effected my mom. I was 3. I remember my mom going to the funeral, and my dad watching myself and my sister. I remember he cooked awful food and the baby cried all night. And, when my mom came home, all she did was rock Emily in the rocking chair and cry and cry and cry. All I know of my grandma...is that she was practically perfect in every way. She had auburn hair and a thin, sweet smile. My grandfather thought the world of her. I found her college scrap book and discovered that my step-grandma Marilyn was her best friend. Grandma MaryAnn hasn't been around for 20 years, but I feel like I know enough about her to feel like she's here in spirit.

6.Sessamee Street. Seriously. I still know the songs. " one of these things is not like the other...one of these things does not belong!" I think S.S. taught me how to read before my parents or school did. ( cute side note: Matt used to watch 'plaza sessamee' in Peru!)

7. My first friends I met outside of my homelife, Jessie and Beth. Jessie I met at church and I loved her house because her parents had the original Beatles records and a twirl-o-paint. I met Beth on the bus on the way to 1st grade. I invited her to spend the night at my house but she got scared and her mom picked her up. But, she got me a really cool barbie doll for my birthday.

8. Brownie Girlscouts:
" Make new Friends, But keep the Old, One is Silver and the other Gold"

Need I say more? :)

9.My mom singing to us. All the time. She would make up songs, and let us listen to pop music on the radio. When she was on her country kick, she taught me " all my exes live in texas" and " we were swingin". I especially liked it when she worked my name into the song.

10. My dad playing with us. My favorite games included "round & round", "bear cave", and "crab". My mom yelled at him once when I jammed my pinkie after a rough game of " bears in the bear cave" but I kept right on trying to pummel my daddy. :)

So that's that. It's finally raining and the weather is getting fall-like. I am in the final stages of getting a new Honda Civic. I should be able to pick it up on my birthday. I have been chatting it up on the phone with Tad and Lance, 2 nice guys I met online. I am still spending time with Matt, though, and he's being absolutely wonderful.

Best news of all, Suzi, Jessie, Mayumi, and Nicole are joining me for my bday. Yay!

1 Comments:

At 11:57 PM , Blogger soylentdeen said...

Good God, you look like your mother...

(That's a compliment, btw ;-)

Hope things are ok up there. Feel free to come visit anytime!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home