Monday, July 02, 2007

All it takes is a long e-mail from Suzi to make me realize how much it freaking sucks not to have my best friend in the same town. When I'd be at work, I'd read my e-mails from her while the kids were taking a test and I'd bust out laughing , causing my students to think I was insane. She and her fiance just came back from their Catholic "engaged encounter" weekend. They were in separate rooms, could not use phones or clocks, and had to listen to some jerk try to convince the couples to use "natural family planning". Um, what? I can picture with perfect clarity the look of horror that must have been on her face. The big deal with Catholic weddings is communion. Suzi won't be done with her communion classes by the wedding so won't be able to take communion. I'm not Catholic, her sister's not Catholic, so basically the only people who will take communion are Ricardo's family. Can't we just cut that part out?? Jesus will understand. Wedding season, ugh. By the time it's finally my turn, I'm afraid my friends and family will be so tired of weddings, mine will be more of a burden than a celebration. I have this vision of carefully selected music, everyone dancing and drinking champagne. It sucks to go to a wedding reception where no one dances. Anyway.

Last night Matt and I went to Cool Bean's to play some fooze. Cool Bean's is the sole surviving bar on that strip of Fry Street; it looked like a bombed-out war zone with the rubble everywhere. We got in a discussion of whose job is harder. He is convinced I don't have to actually "deal" with my problem students; that I can just dismiss them where as he has to have one-on-one interactions with the crazies. I tried to convince him that my job was just as hard if not more, because while I'm expected to teach curriculum, I'm also expected to be a guide and primary counselor to the students. Long story short, he convinced me to apply to his hospital to be a PRN in my spare time. It pays well and might be fun. If I get put in with the adolescents I would be working with cutters, suicidals, junior alcoholics and potheads. If I work with adults, it would mostly be alcoholics, bipolar folk, schizoids. Now that -- I don't know if I could handle. Weeeee'll see. Experience is good.

I'm going to go see Ratatouille with Jessie and the baby! Can't wait!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home