2006_05080003
Excuse the hair and the nastiness of our bathroom floor, but I found ANOTHER baby snake when I was about to get in the shower. Ew ew ew. I have the heeby jeebies and will start shaking out my shoes before I put them on. ( I know it looks like a worm, but it's definitely a snake. It slithers and has 2 tiny eyes on each side of its "head").
Man, I wasn't going to whine, but I really need to. I figure it's better to do it here and not to someone in person, making them feel bummed out and awkward.
I think ye olde depression is coming back. Since about Tuesday, I've been having more difficulty than usual getting out of bed. It's really hard trying to teach when you just don't give a fuck at the moment. It's like parenting I guess, you can't take a break. I feel like I'm letting the kids down, but at the same time it's like " well, so? when have they EVER gone the extra mile for me?" I cried yesterday because even though it was such a task to plan out a good test review and fucking GAMES where they win CANDY and bonus points ( food is the only way I have found that successfully motivates my students to do something , the median grade on my 6 weeks test was a 50. Out of 70 kids I had 3 A's, 5 B's, and then the next highest grade was a 68. Hell no I didn't curve. I was mad. I took this one personally. It was like, a competition for them..." oh snaps! I got a 14! HOLLA!" If their parents were there, I think these kids would have been murdered. I do call parents, but most work 2 jobs, and do not have time to have a teacher conference. They feel that having a roof over their kids' head and food is more important than an education. Fair enough.
I could not justify lying in bed all day so I made myself get up and think of something to do. I went through my closet and got a laundry basket of clothes together and took it to the consignment store in Flower Mound. ( I got 47 dollars woot!) While waiting for them to go through my stuff, I picked up D magazine, which ranks DFW schools. It made me smile that GHS is ranked 14 out of the best 109 high schools in DFW ( and there are about 300 that they consider ). It is ranked above all Frisco schools, all the Plano schools except West. It's ranked 20 points above Berkner ( cough, you suck Matt, cough ;) ) The best ranked schools were the magnet schools in Dallas. I think that's great; it goes to show that just because a school has "money" doesn't mean it's great. Everyone at home talks up the new Sachse High ( across the street from my mom's house ), and it's ranked 73. So there.
The high school I work in is not in the top 109. Pinkston, South Oak Cliff, and Roosevelt ( considered the worst schools in Dallas ) are even on the list. Ranked above where I work.
Ummm, can anyone guess what my next move is?
Besides the work stuff, there are several other factors to me being bummed out, and I know what they are and they're easy to fix. I don't know why I'm so effected...it kind of sucks. No one likes an Eeyore. Time for some children's chewable prozac...of the bluebird of unhappiness variety.
Simpsons' humor. :)


1 Comments:
ugggh. i hate wormy snakes. larger ones are fine, but wormy is just creepy.. especially the thought of finding a surprise in a shoe one morning while you're half awake. It's like summer camp without going to summer camp ;)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home