Wednesday, May 24, 2006

It feels amazing for this school year to be at an end. I feel more joy and relief for the year's end than I ever did as a student...even in my senior years of high school and college. It feels like for the past 8.5 months I've been a mother, a counselor, a personal tutor, a diplomat ( ok more like a dictator ), and even at some times...a peon, a secretary, a BABYSITTER.

So you think I've had enough of crazy-ass kids, right? Well. Monday I have an interview with the Nelson Center ( where Matt used to work ). It's a residential center for foster kids with emotional and behavior problems. I am interviewing for the night shift part-time, to file stuff from the therapists and walk the halls to make sure no one tries to fly the coop. Thorazine anyone? How bout some lorazepam...zyprexa? I've heard lots of stories about these kids. This is a lock-down facility, where I may be administering all these anti-psychotic drugs when they wake up in the morning. We'll see though...it'd be no more than 3 nights a week and just for the summer.

Ok, now for my spiel on 'proximity'. I took this lame interpersonal communications class when I was a sophomore where we tried to guess the single most important factor in choosing a mate. Everyone guessed "physical attraction", "age", "social status", " sense of humor", etc. The fact of it was that people are lazy. Or at least practical...I guess it makes sense that you have a much better chance of finding your mate in a place geographically close to you. After you start dating, you become accustomed to seeing that person. Which begins a new proximity factor; emotional proximity. Some people are overjoyed to share every aspect of their life with others. Some people are guarded and scared. Most people are in the middle...yearning to keep certain aspects of their personality and individualism in tact while sharing experiences with someone else. For a lot of people, myself included, it's hard to find a balance. Hard enough as it is...without one person having to move away. When "long-distance" is thrown into the mix, when geographical proximity is compromised...a huge amount of effort and commitment has to be exerted -- by both people. It frustrates me that there's no perfect formula for emotional and geographical proximity because a lot of times, people in relationships have different ideas of what will work.

So, even though I'm only moving oh, 45 minutes away...you can see why I'm just a little uneasy given that M and I both have a lot on our plates.

But for now there is Thai food for the 3rd time in 2 weeks, the Mavs game ( even though I realllly just want to watch the 'lost' season finale ). Takin' one for the team though...and where there's basketball, there is free or cheap beer, and I will always say yes to that.

1 Comments:

At 4:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

emotional proximity...

i like it :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home