Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree:

Something my mom (anonymously, so as not to lose her job! ) contributed to the Dallas Morning News Editorial Blog: http://www.dallasmorningviews.beloblog.com

"

A teacher's not-so-happy Halloween

We have Teacher Voices, a group of regular contributors to our local pages, and this is the account of her day that one of them just sent me. So sad it's kinda funny. ...

Okay, if have anything more to do, I am going to throw an ever-lovin hissy fit. The kids came to school dressed up, causing tears in the ones that couldn't dress up. There isn't a party supposedly, but I have enough candy stuffed into the closet to pass at dismissal time that it will take me half an hour to pass it. 10 different kids brought about 10 pounds of candy each.

Then, a dog jumped into my car at lunch time when I went to go get the Halloween cupcakes. It was a cute little Jack Russel Terrier, so the only thing to be done was to look for its owners during my planning time. Chaos continued as my students saw me with a cute little JRT.Finally found its parents and got my students situated after their time.Turns out that the gym teachers let them dance and be crazy, something they don't need encouragement to do. Please keep in mind they are dressed as Ninjas, pirates, princesses and stuff.

Then the lights went out. I bravely took out a good book and attempted to read to the class in the little bit of light that comes through the doorway. Then my co-teacher advised me that she still needed her class to come to my room for 45 minutes. I'm still trying to figure out why I folded. (Normally it WOULD have been my turn to teach social studies...I just thought that all bets were off when the lights went out.) As usual, the lights being out made all the kids want to go to the bathroom which is very dimly lit with emergency lights. I had to say yes because one of them kept throwing off terrible gas, and my hot dark room was now stinking. So here I am teaching kids to cut JackOLanterns out of paper because they can't help it that the teacher has lost their mind. I'm sure they'll always remember this special day. Happy Halloween? Hell yeah. Only if there's alcohol in the refrigerator at home. "

She wrote it in response ( jokingly, told the editor not to publish it and that she would write something real later ) to the question " what barriers stand in the way of texas students passing the TAKS" or something like that. Haha. Go mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home