Saturday, December 23, 2006

In response to Casey's post about memories:

I've always wondered why people are so into nostalgia. Why do we look back on the past, even the somewhat crappy and uneventful past, with fondness? When I studied psychology in college, I always sided with the more scientific or evolutionary/biological reasoning for behavior. But, I could never find a good explanation for hindsight. Well, maybe I should clarify, I'm not necessarily talking about the "big picture" of looking back and evaluating, for example " my granny died when I was 8 and it was awful and tragic but now I've come to terms with death"...I'm talking about, " oh my god, Suzi...do you remember skipping orchestra and going to On the Border and always getting ranch dip with our chips and salsa? And do you remember when Abbey would trick you into buying cigarettes for her? Etc. " There really is no life lesson in that, it's just....well, I think it's one of the unique eccentricities of being a human be'in.

I get these memories at the weirdest times. They're strongest of course when I'm dreaming or drunk. I'll all the sudden think of something I haven't thought of in years. Like I said before I went to Billiard Bar on greenville with Julie, Marcus, and Casey. Casey and I sat outside shivering trying to sober up before the drive home when we realized, we have known each other for 10 years almost. I took a good look at his face and I think he did to me and we laughed. And laughed. And said "holy shit." " Do you remember the....." " yeah and the......"
We relate to each other on a much different level now and it's nice. It's nice to see the many facets of a person...to be around to witness all those changes that people endure. Wow.

Besides that, my nostalgic moment of the week was when I was on duty at school, monitoring a room of kids taking their finals separately because they arrived late. There was a bin of magazines, and I picked one up addressed to the school....from Feb 2000! Let's see...I was 17 then. A Junior in highschool. I read about how Brad and Jen were going strong...and interviews from the stars of the "hit show Felicity". Animal prints were HOT and it was ok to say no to boys who want sex. When I left the room to walk back to my classroom, it was like a time warp. The lockers...the sound of my shoes on the floor of the long hall. Dave Matthews Band, Oasis, Bush, and Matchbox 20 wafted through my head. Ah, 17. The good old days. Wait...being 17 SUCKED BALLS! I was confused...still stuck in the identity crisis that was developmentally supposed to have resolved 2 years before...in really hard classes...liked a boy who didn't want to make out with me " BECAUSE IT WAS WRONG" heh heh...then liked a boy who wanted too much too fast, and on top of that I had to start worrying about college! WHY would I look back to that??

Isn't ironic, don't you think?

Like rain on your wedding day? A free ride when you've already paid?

But yeah. Tonight was fun. And Congratulations Casey. Yeah, you know why. :-D

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home