Friday, December 08, 2006

Sooooo disgusted right now.

The theme for the last 2 days should be " getting ridiculously lost in Dallas".

I guess the biggest news is that I did not get to take the GRE today, and I have wasted a lot of time. I don't really care about wasting other things; time is so precious though. I think I can get my money back, or transferred, to when I take the test IN DENTON ( where I know where everything is ) At the beginning of January. I think I can get a refund because....THE ADDRESS THEY LISTED DID NOT EXIST. Seriously. What the fuck. Oh, and the entire city is under construction. The only time appropriate to close down Dallas North Tollway to jack hammer some concrete is maybe, 3 in the morning. Not noon. AND, if you are the ONLY gre testing site in a city of a bazillion people, YOU NEED TO HAVE A SIGN ON YOUR BUILDING. Annnnnnnd, streets are supposed to insersect neatly at right angles like a grid so as to easily access where you need to go in case you turn too early....not end up at the gates of a ridiculously gaudy "planned community". My car has suffered much abuse today. I just can't believe it. I left my apartment 45 minutes before noon because google maps said it would only be 20 minutes away. I should have known when the map said " address can't be found, but this is where it would be.." I know a lot of people will say " well now you have time to be extra prepared"...but I was ready NOW. I was psyched. I was excited. I was doing something that no one TOLD me to do, something that I've wanted to do forever. And I know that to all my smart little friends that are already in grad school ( some have even GRADUATED ) this was like a walk in the park and they never had to study hard or had ANY problems finding the damn testing site. I am very much in a "WHY ME?" mode. I've always felt like a little fish in a big pond. A grateful little fish; I would have rather been challenged educationally then to have been bored and uninspired....but I hate that everything I do to improve my station in life is such a struggle. Gah. Getting the wrong address/directions from the internet I know is out of my control and has nothing to do with my intelligence or preparedness for this crappy test. I just feel cheated.

My other adventure in getting lost, last night I went to Monica's in Deep Ellum with Brent for some yummy food that wasn't exactly on my diet. He now lives in a super cool loft, even cooler than the one he lived in before, on Commerce. As I left his place I assumed I was going back to the highway....but no. I ended up in Lakewood, a really nice old neighborhood behind Greenville Ave, Vickery Park, etc. That kind of getting lost is fun, when you don't have to be somewhere right away. And now I know where the roads connect. I was lucky to get my dad's sense of direction; once I've driven somewhere and am paying attention, I'll remember it. Sometimes when I'm bored at work I get on google earth and look at how the cities in my area connect. This is really fun to me.

So, now I'm home with my wasted day....I'm going to try to unwaste it by finally cleaning my apartment from top to bottom.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try not to beat yourself up.
I got lost going to and leaving shelley's place recently, and I wound up in Melissa, Texas. It happens to all of us. You will have another chance at the GRE and you will kick butt.

 
At 3:38 PM , Blogger brint said...

I feel so negligent. I didn't give you directions out of the area.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home