Just finished "Use Me" by Elissa Schapell.
I laughed, I cried. This is the perfect "memoir" book. It was like Evie's life could be my own, under different circumstances. This book dealt with grief, love, family, sex, friendship....all those "girly" emotions. Evie goes from being a cheerful idealist, to being a shell of herself.
At first I thought the book would be about 2 friends; each little chapter or short story told in either of their points of view. 2 chapters are told in MaryBeth's ( the friend's ) pov and while they were good, her character didn't seem developed enough. Most of what MaryBeth is is told through Evie.
I guess the overall theme of the book was, well, " use me". Everyone in the book was using each other in one way or another. Evie had a baby to try to motivate her father to stay alive longer and beat cancer...MaryBeth slept with wallstreet brokers at age 15 to get back at her estranged father...etc,etc. People's intentions outwardly were never matched their true motives. There was a journey...in that Evie just needed to 'let go' and live life for herself. Yes; this book is a true candidate for Oprah's book club.
All in all, I liked it a lot. It's very descriptive, and many times gives you the feeling of familiarty and warm fuzziness. :)
Next up: " Ecstacy", Irvine Welsh
Oh--and 1 MORE WEEK OF SUMMER SCHOOL!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home