Sunday, July 17, 2005

The big furniture move is today. There's something so sad about a boxed up living space. Blank walls where pictures used to hang and the indentations on the carpet where the feet of your bookshelves used to stand.

I still dream about the house I moved out of when I was 14. This is a common thing....I think probably because within those walls ( the house you grew up in ), you did the bulk of your learning and growing. When you learned the word "tree", maybe you pictured the one in your backyard. When you think of the word "bed" "garage" " table", maybe the first representations of those words were in the first house you ever remember. Dreaming about the house you grew up in may be more Freudian-representative of unfinished business, wanting to go back to your childhood or to a simpler time. Maybe it's all these things put together.

I've talked about Michel Gondry before, and the documentary I saw on him. He's the director of 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", and he's heavily influenced by the events of his childhood. In the documentary in order to stop his dreams of his childhood home, he actually visits the house even though it had completely changed. He took pictures and sat in his old bedroom.

The dreams didn't stop :) So, maybe it's just comforting to have a place in your mind that will never go away.

I've moved 4 times in 4 years now. I can't wait to find a place I love and can settle in to. Maybe when life stops being so crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home