So I've been in training for 2 days...and, I love it!!!
It's like summer camp. We do skits and make crafts and eat a lot. I don't know why I just now figured out I wanted to be a teacher; everything from the brain-based learning theories to non-violent crisis intervention has been fascinating to me, and incorporates everything I loved about my psychology classes.
We're not just learning to teach kids, we're learning to be counselors, entertainers, organization sticklers, disciplinarians, etc etc etc. It's gonna be rough but hopefully rewarding. I'm learning all the tricks of the trade. Like, do you remember when you used to be in la-la land during a lecture and the teacher would just come stand over by you and teach by your desk? ( Not say anything or really acknowledge you...but you sure as hell acknowledged her). Yeah, that's on purpose. I've had so many light-bulb moments.
I'm going to call my students Mr. & Ms., for as long as I can remember. The whole respect thing going on there. I'm going to give them a wall in the class as their own, to decorate with their projects ( but no names and grades on them, did you know that's illegal? ) and maybe artwork or posters from home. I'm giving them fun-money -- euros, for when they participate in class and let them spend them every friday in "le magasin" ( store )....see?! Positive reinforcement AND cultural activity.
And if and when they call me a bitch I'll smile and ask to see them in the hallway.
I'll be cool, crazy Ms. C. :-D
I'm sure in 6 months I will look back at this and laugh at my naivety, but I think this optimism right off the bat is good and necessary. I think the future of education is looking up...everyone in my training class is bright and qualified. There were a lot more men than I expected. ( A couple of really hot guys to boot....English and art teachers *drool*). 3 of 5 girls at my table just HAPPENED to graduate from GHS, which was so weird. We didn't even know each other.One new track coach at GHS, another was a new math teacher at Rowlett, then me. One dude had his masters from Yale. One had his PhD in physics and another handful were in the process of getting masters.
So other than that, the furniture got moved -- the manor will look pretty damn fabulous by friday. Tonight I finally get to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the new Movie Tavern with my sweetie. I heard the beer is 12 dollars and that just sucks even if they let you keep the mug.
Oh, and since I'm paranoid, the blog is about to go a little more kosher, or a little more anonymous. If kids or coworkers find this...well its scary, I don't know how far free speech goes in TX state board of edumaction land. I need to stop cussing in daily speech. Like say, if I drop a stapler on my toe, I need to say " oh fiddlety dee!" like Homer did after he got used to the swear jar.
Anyhizzle, fo' shizzle.

1 Comments:
I'm really happy for you, S. (There, hopefully that will help you be less known.) =) I know you will be an awesome Ms. C.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home