Sunday, September 04, 2005

Back from Wac(k)o.

Seeing my grandparents out in the boondocks is good for the soul. As long as it's less than 48 hours. My grandmother makes a 3-course meal for lunch. They put money in my purse when I'm not looking and it's nice to sit down and chat. I found out that I have had family in Texas since at least 1850. But then I see things like this:
( Excuse the crappiness; taken with my camera phone)




My grandma's mammie doll collection. She has about 10 of these, some are salt and pepper shakers, this one hides an air freshener . WTF?! I've always seen these around and thought nothing of it, really, but finally I confronted her with her fascination of them.

I said, " don't you think that's kind of....insensitive?"

She said, " Oh...well I just think they're cute. If I really hated black people, why would I have these in my home?"

I just decided to drop it. My grandma thinks that tolerance is watching Oprah, where the (her term, not mine) "coloreds" are at a safe distance.

I was doing laundry in her utility room and didn't go down in time to get the clothes out of the dryer, and sure enough she had beaten me to it, and was *ironing* my panties. She held up my pink ones with the bows and said, " now these are fancy!( pronounced 'fain-cy') I haven't seen any like this before. "

But she's a lovely woman. Some of my fondest childhood memories were staying with her and grandpa over the summer. I love staying in her house because it's always so clean and homey. She and grandpa have been married over 50 years and still really care about each other.

I found this picture:




My dad was so emo...either that or was an early Harry Potter. :):)

I'm bored. I've started early on my labor day drinking. Mayumi's supposed to call, but other than that, I think I'm on my own. I could do lesson plans, but ........no. Ciao folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home