2005_11280008
Matt, me, and Nathan at last weeks' party. What adorable boys, no? It felt like silly hat day moreso than Halloween. Love how the red party cups match Matt's pimp hat.
Every 6 weeks we are to give out a "golden eagle award" to 1 kid at our discretion. Last time I went the easy route and just picked the kid with the highest average. Well, this time...I had a student who had improved his grade from a 60 to an 81, and he didn't cheat because I watched him all 6 weeks. He gave me hell at the begining of school, and would always come in with scrapes and bruises from getting in fights.
He was really quiet all 6 weeks, and I just figured he was either sleepy, not feeling well, or depressed. Aparently...when I told him to shut up and behave...IT WORKED. Cuz the kiddo learned like a mug.So he got his award today with his gold eagle pin, which he proudly wore on the collar of his oversized uniform shirt. He ran up to my desk and shouted " THANK YOU MISS!" and showed his award to the others. I swear, 14 is sometimes no different than 4. His peers were skeptical: " how you get that, you be actin a fool!" I told them that they all had a chance at getting an award.
So, it was nice that I gave a deserving kid a good day. That felt really, really good...as in I'm-not-going-to-up-and-quit-before-christmas good.
As for the "enrichments" I was talking about a little bit ago, I cooked a whole meal of food yesterday. Chicken with stuffing, green beans and a bottle of riesling. No more drinking wine on a week night; no headache's worse than a too-much-wine headache. I put away the DCFC cd for the moment, and all my other sad emo-ish music, and am now on and oldies/classic rock kick. I have been currently listening to:
* Soul. Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Marvin Gaye.
* 70's folk. Jim Croce, Cat Stevens, James Taylor.
* Stuff my dad loved: pink floyd, led zeppelin, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Lynard Skynard
* Random: Van Morrison, Paul McCartney, Sting ( The Police), The Cure, The Clash, The Beatles, Genesis, Electric Light Orchestra
* Unrelated, and on the DL to the general public: Kelly Clarkson and Justin Timberlake.
One thing I think will just take a long time to master with me....is trust. There is a scene in "The Weatherman" where Nick Cage and his wife are in marriage counseling. Their assignment was to write on a post-it one secret to give to their partner. The partner is to accept it, but never read it. As soon as Nick Cage is alone, he reads his wife's note, and when she finds out....that was the last straw.
I'm afraid that that's the person I am/will be. At least I know what to work on.
Oh did I mention I'm going to see BEN FOLDS in 2 weeks? Did I mention that the whole of north west texas and the ppl in it = one big disappointment? Just kidding.
I don't get many things right the first time
in fact I am told that a lot,
but I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles, the falls, they brought me here....


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home