Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oy, this will be a rough week. The week before glorious spring break...everyone in the public school system is going to be very, very weary this week. I have to make some dumb portfolio to send off, and another freakin' certification test to take on saturday. I haven't done lesson plans yet...and I know in my heart of hearts that nothing new I could teach will stick in their spring-feverish brains. I can't blame them. We're in it together, to just endure these 5 days.

5 years ago for spring break, I went to Italy. It was amaaaaaazing. By day, my little friends and I were explorers, tourists, amateur photographers. By night, we were hedonists. The only sleep we ever got on that trip was on the bus. We hung out on our balcony in Florence watching the people stumble through the streets. We made screwdrivers and chugged chianti and slept 4 girls to a bed, because we were too drunk to go back to our own rooms. There was a certain comfort to half-way open my eyes on the tour bus, coldplay's "parachutes" playing in my headphones, then seeing the vineyards blanketed in mist out the window. I know it sounds cliché, but honestly, they really are beautiful.

The next year when I was a freshman, we took our first roadtrip to Panama City Beach in cheezy college spring break fashion. We listened to " bang, bang, bang" by Group X 80 bazillion times, and made sand castles like we were 10. We hit New Orleans on the way home and...yeah, don't really remember that.

Year after that was at the height of me and Mike's thing. He came and saw me and I went to San Antonio to see him at his parents'. And yeah...that was what it was. Something sweet though: it was a Sunday morning and Mike's mom woke me up for pancakes. His sister Laura was already at the table and Mike came downstairs in pj's with pillow marks on his face. I had never felt like a part of someone's family after having met them only once. The Morrisons are good people. :)

( edit: i stopped writing this post when matt came in and plopped down on my bed, " sarrrrah i'm loneeeleeey come watch tveeee with meeeee...". You can't say no to that. you can't :) on with more odes to spring break )

Jr Year: Went to Norfolk, VA to see Emily on the naval base. This was my last really fun chick road trip. I finally felt like I had the perfect group of gal pals...then Jessie got pregnant, Emily moved onto the boat, and my friend Laurie from Dillards got arrested for shoplifting and was too embarrassed to talk to me again. We went to Virginia Beach when there was a 30 degree windchill, and attended a party where a married dude wrote his phone number in sharpie on my foot while his wife was making out with some chick in the kitchen. Yeeeeeah. Oh oh, and this was ALSO the trip where we got lost in Podunk Chesapeake looking for where this dude that Emily was currently dating worked. We ended up in a thick wood in the middle of nowhere ( and Virginia nowhere is a little shadier than Texas nowhere ), and found this "bar". We got carded at the door and surprised we didn't have to pay cover when the group of men in front of us did. We were greated with the biggest, fakest breasts I have ever seen. Em's guy bartended at a strip club. Old hillbillies everywhere. That was a greeeeat vacation.

Last Year: I spent half of it in town...Quang's bbq where I had the best pork tenderloin in my life, marinated in miller highlife and cajun spice. We partied from 3 pm til 3 am. The second half was in Galveston with a bunch of David's frat brothers. We stayed in this gorgeous 1920's house right on the beach. I woke up to the sounds of the waves...we played a 3 hour game of monopoly, had a cook out, drank beer for breakfast ( if you can call it that at 1 pm. )

And this year, glorious Austin. Possibly seeing some Jamie Cullum and a whole bunch of other bands in concert ( if tickets fall out of the sky ), bonding with the seester, eating all that great hippie Austin food, walking to Jimmy Johns, seeing Colleener Wiener dog, maybe going to the lake...all with my hot man. I'm freakin' excited.

Well now it's tuesday and I've still got tons to do. Ciao.

1 Comments:

At 6:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home