Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I'm home sick with a Valentines' cold. Originally I was saying it was the Kentucky Fried Chicken bird flu because I started feeling sick sunday after eating kfc. If it turns into the flu though, I will be killin' some 9th graders. I'm sure other teachers can sympathize, they get in your face and say, " Misssss, I'm sick COUGH COUGH SNORT". I have been out so much, I know I've used all my sick days and money is being taken out of my check. Siiiigh.

Matt tucked me in on his couch with his lovely cable while he's at class. I'm eating my Russell Stover's select chocolates and staring at the red azaleas he got me. :) He told me that I made it the best birthday he's ever had...and I believe that. I am a really, REALLY good girlfriend. Haha...

I think I had a moment of clarity though, on my sick day. I dropped Matt off at class and it's a beautiful day outside. Girls were riding their bikes in spring clothes and sunglasses, people were chatting on benches with their coffee between classes. How I miss that. College is stressful but it's a very different stress than a full-time job. When I got back here I researched the school psychology programs for about the 50th time because when I admitted to my department head that I wanted to go back to school she said snidely, " You need to have 3 years teaching experience, hon." Well, you do, if you DONT HAVE A BACHELORS IN PSYCHOLOGY. Muahaha. I can go back in the spring if I can get in. I could work my butt off during the summer and fall and be a full-time student with a part-time job in the spring. I would stay in Denton the sucking black hole...but I could move somewhere nice. I would be close to Matt ( NO this is not why I'm doing this, but it's a nice bonus ) and, well in my mind right now this seems like a good idea; to get school out of the way before anything major happens like babies or mortgages. And now I'm remembering, teaching for me was supposed to be temporary in the first place! Don't get me wrong, I like it for the most part, but it is EXHAUSTING. I can always go back if I miss it, once my teaching certificate is completed this summer.

Now, comes the hard part of thinking of every practical detail of my plan. Will I really be able to get into a grad program? Will I be financially able to afford school full-time? The answers right now are "...maybe" and "maybe..."

So I've still got some thinkin to do, as always. Here's to sick days though; hope you're enjoying your day as well.

2 Comments:

At 12:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was EXTREMLEY intimidated by grad school too, but now that I'm in seminary, I am so glad to be here. Especially when I hear about older students talk about balancing class with parenting and full time jobs. So I say, get it out of the way while you still have the freedom and the ability to work part-time. There are a lot of people here in the same boat as me, which is nice, because before going back to school I felt like I was all alone in my lack of direction. Good luck with whatever you do. Would you still teach in the fall?

 
At 3:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're so sickening! *cough

feel better!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home