Tomorrow I find out if I passed my Nelson Center "common sense" pre-employment exam. ( They give you this test with all these situations of kids in a juvenile correctional facility and ask you how you would act. Some of the situations were pretty tough and seemed like trick questions. ) I hope I get this job because I'm BORED. Time off doesn't count for much if you're just sitting around trying to not spend money. I made homemade fried chicken, biscuits, and potatoes au gratin and had to promptly excercise so I wouldn't die from the fat intake. I played around with Matt's guitar and realized each fret is a half step. I figured out scales and a few chords...maybe I'll get some tab sheets from the interweb.
Since I start moving next Thursday ( before I go to NY ), I've been organizing and throwing stuff away. I hate this process...I am such a packrat. I get sidetracked big time, too...I found my " Guster Road Diaries" ( a mikeymo present ) and read about half of it while cracking up before I remembered what I should have been doing. ( They come out with a new album in like, a week or something. ) I haven't heard anything from it yet...but 'Keep it Together' stayed in my cd player for 2 years straight, and I consider " Come Downstairs and Say Hello" to still be my theme song.
I finished reading One Hundred Years of Solitude. I didn't finish to the end, though; I had to give up reading it. I feel bad about this, but it just never hooked me. Don't get me wrong...Marquez has a beautiful and descriptive writing style. He incorporates South American folkloric mysticism in with the every-day. But that was the thing; it was CONFUSING. The story's about a village in the Colombian jungle and the 100 year history of the Buendia family. The problem is, they keep naming the new babies after the parents....so you end up with about 20 people named Aureliano, 5 named Jose or Jose Arcadio. You'd be lost if it weren't for a family tree in the front of the book. Another problem is at some points Marquez is TOO descriptive. Ugh, like 3 pages about how Aureliano would go outside and pee on the chestnut tree during the night ( where his grandfather happened to live ). Ooh that's another thing. Did the grandfather really live under the tree for like 50 years or was it just his spirit? I feel stupid, but yeah this book really made no sense to me. It says " Nobel Peace Prize Winner! The Novel of the Americas!" on the cover. I feel like I'm missing something. I'll try Love in the Time of Cholera. My mom read that and loved it.
So I'm watching the news right now and a little south of Dallas, a donkey ran across the highway. This caused 2 18-wheelers to crash, causing a grass fire, and in the end killed 1 person and injured several more. The donkey is ok.
Also, many women due to have babies tomorrow induced labor today so their child wouldn't be born on 6-6-06. Matt saw a commercial for " The Omen" and picked up a pen and drew 3 sixes on my hand. " I KNEW IT! THE MARK OF THE BEAST! DIABLA BLANCA! DIABLA BLANCA!" The scary thing was...when I wiped the ink off, the sixes remained etched into my hand. Muahaha.
But then we played Boggle. I kicked his ass. This is the only thing I really can beat Matt in, so I made sure we played for money and beer.
So, bored bored bored-y bored!

2 Comments:
I dated a guy this semester who was convinced I had to read that book bc it was life-altering. Whatever, I didn't get it. Or through the entire book for that matter. I think it is a good thing that I am no longer dating previously mentioned boy. :)
lol. You know, I bet men can relate to it better...it's all about pride and honor and war. It reminded me some of Ernest Hemingway. Hope you're having a good summer, btw.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home