Saturday, August 26, 2006

Oh, I forgot to tell this story, it pretty much made my week:

The Ballad of Suzi Kinney

Suzi works at a bank in Lubbock, TX. Of all the things she could've done with her degree, she decided to be a bank teller. It turns out she was a very good bank teller, and moved up in the bank very quickly to new accounts and loans. One of her jobs is to hob-nob with rich people and try to persuade them to switching their accounts over to her bank since it is expanding all over the place. She and 3 other bank people were not invited, but were TOLD they were to go work at the Cattle Baron's Ball. The CBB is a big gala for rich folk in West Texas, usually oil men and old money from the cattle drive era. There's a casino, dancing, and free booze everywhere. As a forced laborer "volunteer", Suzi and the bank people weren't suppoesd to partake of any of this; just to kiss rich person booty, serve drinks, and pass out bank brochures. Towards the end of the night while they were cleaning up, one of the bank people spotted an abandoned half-empty bottle of jack daniels. This being Lubbock, ( a drinking town with a football problem ), Suzi and the bank people thought nothing of swiping the lone bottle and taking it with them on the bus back to civilization. Well, one of the snooty cowboy wanna-be's saw the "help" drinking the stolen liquor, and e-mailed Suzi's authorities. By Monday, Suzi and the others had a special meeting with the bank president. I got a message on my machine " Well, I either am about to get fired or have to go to AA meetings...."

Turns out it was neither, they just got lectured by the president about "representing the company".

See, I feel like if Suzi and the others were in their 30's or 40's, this wouldn't even be an issue. The bottle would have been thrown away. It's like last year ( I don't think I mentioned this out of fear), but I got an official memorandum AKA "written up" for the way I dressed. I was writing on the board in my classroom and my button-down shirt raised up about half an inch above my waist so you could see a sliver of my back. It's not like I have a tattoo there, and you certainly couldnt see any underwear or anything else....yet my pervy old-school principal ( he has since left ) saw through the window and didn't say anything to me, just put the memorandum in my mail box. I was so mad I cried. He made me feel like a slutty Mary Kay LeTourneau. If I were married or 35, again, wouldn't be an issue I bet. Now I'm super paranoid and wear my shirts down past my hips. Thank God that's kind of in style now.

It's hard to get a break sometimes. But eveything worked out ok, for Suzi and for me too :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home