Ever since I got my new flash drive, I've been moving files from the now almost-defunct compy to new lappy. I came across the diary I kept from April 2002-December 2002, and in it....was this RIDICULOUS 10-year plan I came up with when I was 19....home from college. The context was,
in that weird summer where me and casey were FWB, we were drinking smuggled jim beam and coke in my room at my parents' and watching 'fawlty towers'. We asked each other what we would like to do with the next 10 years of life.
07/07/02 "... So, I humored him. I made up a scenario about the grand furture of Sarah. Ok, so in my perfect world, I continue doing well in my classes for my sophomore and junior years. Next summer I get a job/internship at a psychologist's office, or work for the school psych department in Denton. That's when I'd get my first apartment and stay there until the next summer, the one before my senior year. That's the summer I spend taking classes in France for about 2 months. Meanwhile, I'm keeping a long distance reationship with some wonderful guy back in Denton. He comes to visit me for a few weeks in France and thats when we realize we want to get married. But, we don't get engaged just yet. On a whim we look at rings in Paris, just "hypothetically", and when I'm doing something else he buys me the one I want. He doesn't propose to me until half way through our senior year...at some place that means a lot to us both. I don't say yes right away - because I need to go to graduate school away from Denton...possibly out of state. After much debate we compromise and I decide on graduate school at Texas A&M; and we both graduate with honors; as we are both smart cookies. We get an apartment together and I start school, he gets a job with a decent salary, doing what he loves. I struggle through graduate school and work for family outreach centers in College Station and eventually I commute to Houston to intern for a high profile psychologist. My boyfriend and I get married after a year of living together and spend the whole summer backpacking in Europe. We both are very cultured and fun and love traveling. A year or two passes and I get my masters. My husband gets promoted. A year or two more, we're still living in our apartment in college station, we're happy; we go camping all the time and grow as a couple. I write my thesis on the pre-frontal cortex or schizophrenia or something fascinating like that, and end up graduating magna cum laude. ( Not suma; I'm not perfect. ) My husband and I move to Houston after I graduate, and move to a posh studio apartment. We see artsie films and go to concerts and party. We're a really cool couple still even though were approacbing 30. My salary has now doubled since I've gotten my phD. My husband, even though he's making a decent salary, is inspired to go back to school and get his masters. We're still not filthy rich bc we're paying off student loans. I prepare to set up my own practice. Shortly before I turn 29 I'm walking through a park and see the children play and realize my life isnt going to just slow down for me to have kids. I deicde I needed to make time..that I was almost 30 and rationalize I can still be an interesting person and be a mom at the same time. This is good news to my husband who loves kids and has been bugging me about it for quite some time. We conceive our first baby on our 6th wedding anniversary. I slow down work considerably while I'm pregnant, but my husband continues to work full time and go to night school. We make it work though, and decide to move to a house. We get an older house with a lot of character in Meyerland or University Park in Houston,some place nice but not gawdily yuppie;because Sarah and her husband can't stand consumer whores. Both are very humanitarian and volunteer when they can. Finally our son is born a few months short of my 30th birthday. He's perfectly healthy and has his dad's eyes and his mom's nose. We give him an old fashioned name like William or Collin. We don't regret a thing. So...I take off work for a few years to raise the kid, hubby gets his masters and so on and so forth...( afterall, Casey only asked me what my 10 year plan would be ) We had a good laugh. It probably won't happen this way...but wouldn't it be fun if it were?"
Laugh, laugh, cry, laugh.
More blasts from the past are to come!
Labels: life

3 Comments:
Remember, you're having my weekend kid in three years.
Brint, I'm going to let you down gently; our ginger baby would either die from exposure to sun the minute I brought it out of the hospital....or you would forget him or her at the airport on your custody weekend when you on a whim decide to rearrange your furniture.
:)
omg. that was awesome. i felt like i was reading some sort of lifetime movie.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home