Thursday, March 22, 2007

So I sat through day 1 of the TFLA conference in Plano. Being in TFLA will look really good on my resume, but yuck, most these seminars seem like they were designed for retards. Sitting through yet ANOTHER classroom management pointers class, I realized and noted to A., my Spanish teacher friend that came with me, that " training kids seems the same as training dogs". Have you seen 'dog whisperer'? Cesar Milan is all about staying calm and assertive, not yelling at the animal, but showing that you mean business by your body language. Ugh.

Teaching is making me feel dumber. Have I said that before? When I was in college, I used to read a lot. I still read, but it's usually light, recreational stuff...or blogs, or the news. In high school I used to read the classics, JD Salinger and 'Sound and the Fury', and could talk about metaphors,allusions, and tone. I don't really notice stuff like that anymore. When you teach, you're the one spouting out information, not processing it. My students don't really prompt me to have to look up answers...I've tried to do the higher level stuff and I for the most part get blank stares.

This is why I want to be back in school. I'm hoping my classes won't be too education-y, because education classes are so redundant and boring.

In other news, I got around to seeing Babel last week. I didn't think I would like it but it was very interesting. It's a good discussion movie about how one action can have a domino effect to f*cking up several peoples' lives.

In other news, IM HUNGRY. VERY HUNGRY. I started dreaming about food again....donuts. I haven't had a donut in a year. :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home