job fair and fishing
Well I certainly got knocked down a peg this weekend. I got all dressed up to go to the McK. ( shortened for privacy reasons ) school job fair this past saturday at about 8 in the morning. I get there feeling all high and mighty because I am told that I am in "high demand" as I am a certified French teacher with experience. They corral me into a line of people meeting the big whigs for all the high schools in that district who need foreign language teachers. I am behind 3 teachers who I assume are there for Spanish.
Wrong. The horrible thing about this whole situation, the asst. principals were actually giving mini interviews, and the people in line can hear everything you say. All 3 women in front of me were certified French teachers. Where the hell are they coming from?? This one old hag looked like a jumbo shrimp stuffed in her pink pantsuit. She got a second interview. Same with the other 2 older women in front of me. Second interview, second interview. Then there's me, intimidated out of my mind, trying not to wring my resume. I do everything they tell you to do...eye contact...big words....don't say "like". Their eyes said it all. They asked me in 3 different ways " so what kind of relationship do you foster with your students" I.E. " so are you the next Mary Kay LeTourneau??" Uggggh. I made myself clear in so many words that I'm a total B when it comes to discipline, and have no interest or intention to make friends with teenagers...but I am supportive and fair blah di blah di blah. I guess they didn't buy it because 2 out of the 3 principals were staring at the clock on the wall while I talked. " We'll be calling you." Yeah. Whatever. I just wanted to cry. No fair! I got to thinking and reverse ageism and racism are so prevelant in teaching. I was dressed very conservatively at this job fair. I feel like I carried myself maturely....but I look like I'm 17. I guess that's what it comes down to. I had as much experience as the lady in front of me who got a second interview. I noticed it was the 2 male principals who pretty much mentally shut me out. My asshole principal last year ( yea, I can say that because he pretty much got fired ), was always getting on to me about dress code. I wore the same thing the other teachers wore pretty much, but he would freak out if in the lounge I bent down for something and a half inch of my back would show. Skin! Scandalous! Shit, my teachers had tattoos and wore ratty old t-shirts on casual day. Last year we couldn't even wear open-toe shoes. I used to joke that our dress code was like having to wear a party dress to prison. But, I digress. My point: the politics of getting a job in this field suck. Lots of crotchety old bitches. I never want to regret quitting this current job. I asked Matt what was more important, sanity or livelihood. He said "sanity". I guess I agree...but not knowing where the money will be coming from right now is unnerving.
But then we went fishing with Mike Cruz and Sarah and that was an experience. I'm not outdoorsy but I tried. I held the fishing pole til I got bored. When Matt was taking too long to try to catch a fish I freed some of the live minnows they were using as bait when Mike and Matt weren't looking. We didn't catch anything. The picture above is Matt hooking a minnow. God I love my camera. You can click on the picture to see the rest from the set.
Back to the job fair thing, it was only 1 job opportunity out of 6 that I know of, but for whatever reason it was a MAJOR blow to my self-esteem. I was bad and drank too much at the lake, then last night while watching "the science of sleep" (loved it!) I had 4 glasses of wine and went a little crazy with the caramel rice cakes. Still, even after feeling crappy about myself and drinking, I lost 4 lbs on week 1 of weight watchers! Yeah! I'm shooting for 2 this week.
In other news, Matt wants me to get tested to see if I'm bipolar. ;) I could use a little vacation to the mental hospital.....


1 Comments:
you don't get a trip to the mental hospital unless you start eating crappie nibbles and sucking your thumb, but hey, that was probably the big lady in the pink pantsuit. -A.A.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home