Monday, June 13, 2005

First and foremost, thanks for all the well wishes and prayers. I felt them as I really wasn't all that nervous today!

My black pants suit said " I'm all about business". My black kitten-heeled shoes with the little bow on the toes and my lucky pink shirt that I bought at the Gap in Paris when I was 16 said " I'm personable!". My glasses said " I'm a big fat nerd."

D.S. is a weird little town. It's right outside Dallas, seemingly rural, and all the sudden there are new homes everywhere. The highschool's new, and there's a new stadium going up. Principal Y. ( I practiced saying his name over and over in the car ) was very nice and down-to-earth.

He asked all the questions my mom said he would ask. Stuff about discipline. Classroom management. My teaching philosophy. I answered most questions flawlessly as I had practiced in my head before I went to sleep. He nodded a lot. When I couldn't think of a great answer, I would fish around for it using words like " mediate...facilitate...scrutinize..." instead of saying " uhhh, umm, like, well, ". He seemed to not mind that I'd be a first year teacher. He did seem concerned that the kids...78% black ( they must bus kids in from Dallas ) ...would crucify little old me. Ok, what thug 14-year-old is going to take French? I reassured him that I could maintain a relationship of mutual respect with the students from having structure and rigidity from day 1. He seemed to like that answer. Besides, I'm up for a challenge. I'd rather teach kids who could really benefit from being exposed to a different culture rather than say, West Plano kids who have already been to Europe 8 times by 9th grade and hated it because there was no abercrombie or chili's.

So I find out before Friday. I'm not going to stress. I now know what a real interview is like.
Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home