I had a really good conversation with Matt last night. One that brought us closer as friends, as humans, as whatever. And I love his friends. Mayumi and I are stealing Natasha and Alice to tube down the Guadalupe and drink lots of beer Fourth of July weekend. All are welcome to come.
Ok, so the music post. I love music, but everyone says that. I love music so much that some days it's the only thing that makes me feel better. " Where words fail music speaks. " Yeah. So I made up this "survey" if you will because I don't have cable and I finished SURVIVOR ( one of Palahniuk's more mediocre books ). Feel free to fill in your own answers.
SONG FOR THIS SUMMER: " Summer Girl" Beck. ( we started listening to this right when it started getting warm. )
SONGS THAT REMIND YOU OF YOUR CHILDHOOD:
*" Wild West". ( I can't find who sings this song...but it went " she's so mean, i don't care! i love her eyes and her wild wild hair! ) Me and my sister ( circa 1988 ) would go crazy when this came on in the car.
* " Must Have Been Love", Roxette. My mom would request this song on the radio because I liked it so much.
* " Simply Irresistable", Robert Palmer. The video with the models playing all the instruments blew my mind. " They all look alike!!"
* " Bad Medicine", Bon Jovi. You can't be a baby of the 80's and not remember this song.
* "Take My Breath Away", Top Gun Soundtrack. We did a bouncy-ball routine to this in our 2nd grade PE program
*"Someday", Mariah Carey. " Boy you're gonna pay cause baby I'm the one who's keepin score!"
* Anything Wilson Phillips. Oh yes.
* " End of the Road", Boyz II Men. This was our 4th grade " camp grady spruce theme song". Why, I have no idea.
SONGS THAT REMIND YOU OF MIDDLE SCHOOL:
* "Doll Parts", Courtney Love
*"Buddy Holly", Weezer
*"Fake Plastic Trees", Radiohead
*"Man Who Sold the World", Nirvana ( everybody had the unplugged cd after 1994)
*" I gotta girl", Tripping Daisy ( from Dallas! )
* Anything Pearl Jam ( Vitalogy is still a v.v. good cd )
"Peaches", The Presidents of the United States of America ( For some reason, this song reminds me of wednesday night catechism instruction at church. I think because I was never paying attention and just coloring and writing down song lyrics in my book )
*" Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band", The Beatles of course
*"Swallowed", Bush
"""" HIGHSCHOOL:
*"wonderwall", oasis
*"brick", ben folds five ( me circa 1997: " i think this song is about a girl with cancer. she's bald upon a couch." bess: " NO STUPID! she's balled like in the fetal position. Jeez!")
*"come on over baby" Christina Aguilera. ( oy. )
* "cowboy take me away" dixie chicks
*"so much to say" dave matthews band ( i was obsessed )
*" you wanted more", tonic ( awesome, underlooked cd )
*"wounded", 3EB ( I would blast this song on the way to school at 6 am )
*" foolish games", jewel
*"clumsy", our lady peace
* and towards the end, the Almost Famous Soundtrack
YOUR THEME SONGS, PAST AND PRESENT:
* "come downstairs and say hello", Guster
" to tell you the truth ,i've said it before tomorrow i'll start in a new direction, i know i've been half asleep i'm never doing that again...."
* "twentysomething", Jamie Cullum
" after years of expensive education, a car full of books and anticipation, im an expert on shakespeare and thats a helluva lot, but the world don't need scholars as much as i thought..."
* " go it alone", Beck
( I really just like the groove of this song )
*" Butterflies and Hurricanes", Muse
" change everything you are, and everything you were, your last chance has arrived...fight, the battle has begun, revenge will surely come...your time is now! Best, you've got to be the best, you've got to change the world, use this chance to be heard!"
SONGS THAT REMIND YOU OF YOUR PARENTS:
My mom:
* " Fire & Rain", James Taylor
*"Night Moves", Bob Seger
*" Landslide", Stevie Nicks
My Dad:
* Anything Led Zepelin
* " Freebird", Lynard Skynard
*Audioslave ( he thought he was so hip when he bought this cd )
""" YOUR SIBLINGS:
Emily:* "lonestar", Norah Jones. ( Only bc when I hear this, I think we could really win some karaoke contests singing it, harmonizing and whatnot )
* Anything by Fastball
* " One Hand, One Heart", West Side Story ( she sang this at Jessie's wedding)
Ian:
* Funkytown. ( He learned the words from Shrek Karaoke. Awful song. )
FAVORITE SONG TO DRIVE TO:
" Reptilia", by the Strokes, or " I'm a Wheel", Wilco
FAVORITE SONGS TO EXCERCISE TO: " Cold Hard Bitch", Jet, "Short Skirt, Long Jacket", Cake, and yeah ok, " slave 4 u", Britney Spears
FAVORITE BAR JUKE BOX SONGS: "You Never Called Me By My Name", David Allan Coe
" Say It Aint So", Weezer, "Don't Stop til You Get Enough", Michael Jackson
LAST SONG TO MAKE YOU CRY: " New Favorite", Allison Krauss
BREAK UP SONGS:
* " Halloween", DMB,
*"Man Who Told Everything", Doves
*"Schism", Tool
*"Absolutely Zero", Jason Mraz
SONGS THAT REMIND YOU OF YOUR FRIENDS: ( Ok, try to guess who goes to what! )
Gin & Juice, the Phish version. "Konstantine", Something Corporate. 4:30, Sara Evans. "Waltz #2", Elliott Smith, "I'm Just A Girl", No Doubt. The Brak Song. " I just called to say I love you", Stevie Wonder. "Picture", Kid Rock. Taco the Wonderdog. " weight of my words", kings of convenience. " bite the hand that feeds", NIN. "El scorcho", weezer. "festival song", good charlotte. " a moment like this", kelly clarkson. " freshmen", verve pipe. "king of carrot flowers", neutral milk hotel. " boyz in tha hood", dynamite hack. "whiskey river", willie nelson. "fat bottmed girls", queen. "wave on wave", pat green.
SONGS THAT REMIND YOU OF PAST LOVES:
*" crush" DMB
*"shiver", coldplay
*"layla", eric clapton
*" the luckiest", ben folds
*" such great heights", the postal service
*"lullabye", ben folds
*"falling", ben kweller
*"family tree", ben kweller
*"shelter", ray lamontagne
SONG THAT YOU LAST ROCKED OUT TO IN THE CAR:
* " stockholm syndrome", muse. ( i love muse! you should too! )
SONG THAT YOUVE HAD STUCK IN YOUR HEAD:
" dont deconstruct", Rilo Kiley
BEST COVER SONG: The Cure's " In Between Days" done by Ben Folds, Radiohead's " Kid A", John Mayer
FAVORITE POLITICAL SONG: " I Will", Radiohead
" Lay me down, in a bunker underground, I won't let this happen to my children...white elephants, sitting ducks, I will rise up..."
FAVORITE SONGS TO SING INTO A BEER BOTTLE: " Let's Stay Together", Al Green, " Superstition", Stevie Wonder
5 SONGS THAT MAYBE A LOT OF PPL DONT KNOW BUT WOULD LIKE:
1. " pictures of success", rilo kiley. I love the lead singer's voice, she's very pretty. This song is just very mellow. I guess you could say it was "emo" if you wanted.
2. " Trouble", Ray LaMontagne. I heard this on the radio in Austin. He has a voice like Bob Seger...is very folksy. I'm seeing him in July! " Trouble's been doggin' my soul since the day I was born...but I've been saved by a woman..."
3. "Peach, Plum, Pear", Joanna Newsom. She has a little baby voice, but plays harp and or harpsichord. Is very melodic, original.
4. " Against All Odds", Postal Service. Phil Collins cover! Somehow it works!
5. "Aeroplane Over the Sea", Neutral Milk Hotel. Canadian, guitar-ish, good.
" what a beautiful face I have found in this place that is traveling all 'round the sun..."
And that, my friends, is all. :-D
Word of the day: " HERMOSA" ;-)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home