Ok here's the real post.
*Hard drive in the freezer*
When renting movies last night, Fred said he had to stop by his apartment to put his fried hard drive in the freezer. I was like 'wtf?!?' I've heard of putting batteries in the fridge to make them last longer, but never an entire hard drive. Sure enough, he nestled it right between the pound cake and the stouffer's lasagna. He explained that since it had kind of melted, by being in the freezer whatever salvageable information would be in tact when he attempted to transfer it to his new hard drive. ( The day his hard drive exploded set him into a deep depression. He lost more than 3000 mp3's, meticulously organized. I think he lost his porn, too, but he tried to downplay that one. ) The idea of the frozen hard drive was very fascinating to me. Fred was treating it like a living thing; like an amputated limb or organ to be transplanted. Must be preserved. In L&M, my prof would always make the analogy linking the brain to a computer. This really pissed me off. Yes, there are similarities, but there *is* so much more to the brain than input and output. I tried talking about this to my computer science major friend, and he started to blab about artificial intelligence and neural networks and how computers really can be smarter than input/output as well. I had to tune out after 3 minutes. My aunt the nurse said that the times she witnessed someone die, there was a definite electrical energy. Hairs would stand up on their arms. This made me think of the crackling noise that a computer monitor makes when you unplug it really fast...a bunch of electrons now with nowhere to go. I think I would be interested in neurology if it didn't involve cracking someone's skull open with something that looked like an electric pizza cutter.
*Y Tu Mama Tambien*
This is the movie we rented the other night. We wanted to get Kinsey but it is checked out of every video store in Denton. I lied when I said I already saw it. I assumed I would have seen it by the time I wrote this post but not quite. I'm going to just buy it today....it must be good if it won all those awards. ( I know that's a dumb way to pick out a movie ). I won't tell you what Y Tu Mama is about because I had no idea when I got it. I'll just say that it would be very humorous to watch it back-to-back with Kinsey. Hedonism vs. Repression. The movie did show a side of Mexico that I've never seen before. It was almost European. The beach scenes are gorgeous and made me want to go to one even though I hate bathing suits and sunburns.
* The ecstacy that is Thai Ocha*
I had a Mayumi date last night to eat Thai food. Green Curry is the perfect summer food. Jasmine rice smells wonderful as you can imagine. It is light and fluffy and just sticky enough to pick up the flavors of the curry sauce. The green curry at Thai Ocha has lime, mint, coconut milk, and spicy wonderfulness. The coconut milk offsets the heat. That with Thai iced tea ( iced tea with coconut cream ) and maybe some spring rolls with peanut sauce....you will have a foodgasm. I kid you not.
In other news, I have applied to 3 more districts. Have not heard from region 10 and am about to go down there and yell at some old lazy secretary-type biddies. My dad is still on my ass about finding employment. He reminds me of this every week when I see him for dinner. It's like " oh yeah, I completely FORGOT that I have to be self-sufficient after I graduate!" Sigh, I love him. I'm almost done with A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. ( Can't find the underline function ). It was so slow at first and too descriptive, but I'm really getting into it now. It was written in the early 40's but has a gritty rawness that may have been ahead of its time. It kind of reminds me a little of THE SOUND AND THE FURY without the confusing stream-of-consciousness . There is a lot of going back and forth in time. There's a word for starting a story in the middle of sequence. In Medias Res maybe? So much use(less)(ful) info I lose everyday. The next books I have decided to read are a psych book: REVIVING OPHELIA and then a book about France to get me excited about December: A YEAR IN THE MERDE . Ha ha.
Oh, and the State-of-the-Matt Address: He is wonderful!! I am really, really enjoying getting to know him. He is so gentlemanly. I thought at first that he wasn't really interested because he didn't hit on me. It turns out he's a dork like me and neither of us know how to be suave when it comes to that. So in the dorkiest way possible I IMed him and said " I like you! You're fun and smart and cute!" and he IMed me back, " ditto!" And that broke the ice and while we still are taking things incredibly slow, we don't have to have an anxiety attack if we want to hold each other's hand in the movie theater. It's nice to actually go on real dates again. Last night we watched the salsa dancers at Hailey's. I know he loves to dance and he said that he grew up with salsa music in the house. He's going to teach me and we're going to dance next tuesday! ( I am severely self-conscious about dancing, but salsa looked easy enough. And besides, all the girls looked sexy when they salsa-ed. Even if they weren't doing it exactly right. So, what do I have to lose? ) We're going to the Improv in Addison on friday. He likes to plan like I do...he's already got 3 more dates lined up. He always smells and dresses nicely, has huge brown eyes framed with thick lashes and big white smile with dimples. He used to run track. He plays guitar and used to be an art major. He owns garden state and watched it with me, even though we had both seen it a million times. He's responsible but knows how to have fun...it's been great to meet someone who is only 5 years from 30 BUT isn't a total bore. He laughed when I told him my fear of being a boring grown-up. This is just what I needed. Thanks, God :)

1 Comments:
Awww, you share a mutual love of Garden State (great soundtrack, I love it, by the way). That is too cute! :) I'm happy for you. Just relax, enjoy everything, and don't rush it.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home