So like I said, my dad makes wine. He's done so for the last 5 years I guess, and his dad for years and years before that. They use the "mustang grape", some weird fruit that I betcha isn't even a real grape. It grows native on their land. This year the day after Christmas we trekked to Ammannsville, the little Czech/German town between Austin and Houston where one of my Aunts and Uncle live. He's into oil somehow, so they have an assload of money. They bought an old house ,rennvated it, and moved it over by this pond...just so they could have a place to go fishing. They actually live in a 100-year old rennovated farm house down the road.
Could " Barn Thanksgiving '05" be topped? Oh yes. By " Fish Hut Christmas".
The Fish Hut isn't a hut of course. A hut to rich people is a house with a gorgeous sun porch and picnic tables, polished wood floors and an all-ammenities kitchen. Caviar was served as an appetizer, right next to deer jerky. We ate turducken as a main course....a turkey stuffed with duck stuffed with chicken. It was almost TOO weird....it just tasted like meat. I regret not taking pictures.
Anyway, I have to admit and my friends would agree, my dad's gotten the wine-making down. It's some good shit. I think the biggest fan of my dad's wine though, was my dad. I don't know how much he drank, but an hour after we ate, he started talking loud and slurring. Sadly, not just his speech. He started saying stuff about the Indians he works with. Then the Mexicans. I swear, the things that came out of his mouth.....I just stared at him. " Daaaaaad....."
Funny, because the night before I had mentioned my boyfriend's name was Matt.
Grandma: " Matt, short for Matthew?"
Me: " No, short for Matheo, actually."
Grandma: " What kinda name is THAT?"
Me: " It's Peruvian. From Peru."
****DEAD SILENCE****
Oh, oh, and this is after my grandma had said pertaining to something else, bargaining I guess, "Jew you down".
Lordy. I didn't even think that it would be a big deal. It's not a big deal yet, but I think I have underestimated the biggotry on THAT side of my family; my namesake. I mean I was shocked. My dad's a smart guy; very well-read. He loves ethnic food.
What sucks is, Matt's family has been nothing but sweet to me. I want him to be able to meet that side of the family one day. I think they'd be cool....but I bet you good money I'd have all my aunts and uncles coming after me saying " Don't worry, Miss Sarah. We'll find you a good ol' Aggie boy."
Siiiiigh. Well, this post went all over the place didn't it. Back to the wine, and my dad. Mayumi and I shared a bottle of it after we had seen " the Family Stone". I asked her advice....like should I say anything to my dad/that side of the family. Her parents had to overcome a lot of racial crap; her mom's Japanese, dad's German. She just said to go with the flow....it's not like me and Matt are getting married or anything. But as for their points of view, only they themselves can change that. I think I may actually talk to my dad though. We've grown closer, and I wonder if he REALLY thinks that way.
Time with my favorite non-biggoted aunt awaits, along with some wine and sex and the city. Can't wait til New Years!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home