6 weeks + no paycheck + spring break debauchery = pas bon.
Why school districts think it's ok to let us go 42 days between paychecks is beyond me. I know I should like, have money saved up but that's a whole 'nother story.
Well, ok I'll tell that story, or make some excuses. I come from parents who grew up lower middle-class but they worked really hard and got a little ahead. Instead of living a more modest life and putting away savings, me and my sister both had cars at 16, a big house, lavish vacations, braces for our teeth, and ate out at nice restaurants at least twice a week. My mom, even though she is an amazingly unselfish woman when it comes to giving her time, patience, and love to other people, has always been and still is broke at the end of every month. My dad who is a programmer, usually is too. Since his parents didn't have foresight since THEIR parents only lived to like, 50...my dad pays their house and car payments. He pays his own, then my sisters. That poor crazy grumpy man pays at least 3 car payments, and rarely says anything about it. Anyway, point #1, this is where I come from. I think most people who came from suburbia live(d) this way, and it's only getting worse. So here I am out of college and supporting myself...I had been looking forward to these days for a long time in yesteryear, living off 40 dollars a week. I make pretty decent money for someone my age, but yeah, my bank account is in the single digits if not negative the day before payday. This is really embarrassing to admit. I try to tell myself " its just stuff, just stuff, just stuff; you'll get tired of it..." but I cannot tell you how it is almost a fuckin' HIGH to buy something I really, really wanted. Or, one of my biggest pitfalls, my cooking is so terrible ( because I simply do not have the patience ), I end up eating campbells or lean cuisine and it just tastes like cardboard because all I can freaking think about is how I really want PF Changs. I've said it before jokingly, but my soul is nodding vigorously: I.Am. A. Consumer. Whore.

Oy. Anyway. I'm going to try the "envelope" technique, where you withdraw your spending money for the month and divide it into weeks, and seal the envelopes. The trick is trying to not justify reasons to rip into the other weeks' envelopes. I'll let ya know how it goes. I feel ashamed, but, I read this article today and I know I'm not alone. I think the whole financial responsibility thing comes with age and experience. Meh, but I'd rather gouge my eyes out with dull spoons then going on with this topic. Sorry guys. ( If I haven't already bored the crap out of my handful of readers).
I wonder how internet savvy my students are. I know 3 of them have xangas because they talk about it. I hope none of them have figured out myspace. I started worrying about this when one of my profs ( she's only like a TA though ) found me and added me as a friend. I found my silver fox French cinema teacher, and yep, a certain creepy history teacher from back in high school. I'm ... not even going to ponder his motive of being up on there. Anyway.
Why is it so cold out? It's making me want to hibernate.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home