Monday, March 13, 2006

Ok, Matt often asks me why I decided to go into teaching with my psychology degree, especially since I was interested in abnormal psyc/brain physiology type stuff. Why wouldn't I want to work in psyc wards hands-on helping people with the disorders that we learned about for 4 years. Well, this is why:

Right now Matt's sitting in the hospital waiting room with shards of glass in his face and possibly his eyes. On his second day of work at University Behavioral Health, a 13 year-old he was working with started acting out and Matt had to put him in seclusion. The idiots who built this brand new facility made a glass window in the seclusion room instead of plastic, and the kid punched it in, cutting his own wrists and getting glass in Matt's face. I would have probably been so mad and so in shock I would have run off to get the glass out of my face, but Matt ran off to get gloves and first aid stuff to make sure the kid didn't bleed to death.

In my profession, the worst thing that's happened to me was when a kid called me "biscuit". I kind of envy my boyfriend because his job seems pretty intersting but then again; yeah. Not for me.

( Don't worry, I'll make sure he gets nursed back to health & plenty of TLC. Beer and kisses should do the trick. :) )

2 Comments:

At 4:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

tHERE WERE NO FACIAL CUTS AND THE KID WAS NOT BLEEDING TO DEATH-STITCHES WERE NOT EVEN REQUIRED TO CLOSE HIS INJURY AND HE USED A HARD OBJECT TO BREAK THROUGH GLASS THAT WAS SPECIALLY MADE FOR ISOLATION ROOMS. hIS DEGREE OF AGITATION AT BEING RESTRAINED WITHOUT MEDICAL PEWRSONNEL CONSENT OR JUST CAUSE GAVE HIM THE SUPER HUMAN STRENGTH TO BREAK THROUGH GLASS.

 
At 4:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wasn't he pulled from the unit for illegal restraint?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home