Sunday, March 26, 2006

Ok, edit again. I just had an hour argument with Matt about race, class, culture, socioeconomic level - - the works...in response to the post I so stupidly wrote. Ugh. Anyway, I need to clear up that ( Matt yells over my shoulder as I type right now " LET IT GO, WOMAN!" ) ahem, as I was saying, I need to clear up that I was trying to show that society in general had given up on people like the girl I was talking about. Had written her off as a statistic. I wasn't condoning this, I was CONDEMNING it. Matt's point is, is what I was trying to tell other people in the other post, " you can't overgeneralize about other races ESPECIALLY since you're middle class and white." ( Matt: " White devil! White devil!" ) True. You can't overgeneralize...about anything. ever. I'm just frustrated that, the school system, the government, the upper echelons IN GENERAL, think " well, it's not like she'll ever be a rocket scientist...". Empowerment still seems like IN GENERAL, is geared towards people that ' the man' or whoever is in charge thinks can actually use it. People fall into...fuck, I'm forgetting all my psych terms...oh, self-fulfilling bias, I think. If someone tells you/shows you from birth that you're going to be on welfare, don't you think your chances of being on welfare, uh, increase? ( Matt: " Oh, you're just going down that dark, dark, path again." )

Ok, I guess the point I want to make ( and I'm not very good at making points I guess ), is that I THINK that even today, things aren't equal when it comes to race and class and opportunity. 2 huge factors, CORRELATIONS ( meaning one thing does not CAUSE the other but is related in some way ) are education and money. I could go on and on and on. I wish I had taken sociology classes.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

1 Comments:

At 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never apologize for your thoughts. An OPINION is an OPINION, that's why you don't state what you say is a FACT. OPINIONS do not have to be right or wrong.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home