I'm back from my one and only summer mini-vacation!
After all the stupid crap that had happened previously, I honestly didn't think this weekend was going to be much better. Well I was wrong!
Friday: woke up from another fitful night of sleep realizing it was a-hundred-and-fuck degrees outside. I started packing for the trip and Trevor IMed me saying he wanted to go vintage shopping. ( See, ever since we watched this movie 'ghost world', Trevor has been fascinated with the now overdone trend of buying old yet kitschy clothes for specialty store prices. ) So we went. We went to Slinky Whistle Bait first on the square.....cute little store. He got some snakeskin rim aviator glasses. He insisted on wearing them for the remainder of the shopping trip. My favorite store was Denton Thrift because although they sell crap....pretty much like a garage sale...i got a lot of good kitchen stuff for under a dollar.
Rob showed up at 6:30...an hour later than we were supposed to go. Due to the fact my car is in the shop, Rob, David and I had to cram into his dodge ram .. WITH NO A/C. I must say it was pretty miserable the first few hours to San Antonio. We got to my friend Mike's pretty late. Suzi ran stumbling through the street cluthcing 2 beers and gave us all a big drunk hug. I love my best friend! Mike was a great host and showed us all to the backyard where drunk chaos ensued. It was a crazy party, with a little drama, but nothing I wasnt about to let blow over the next day. Mas, Suzi, David and I piled into Mas's BMW at about 4 am and rolled on up to the North San Antonio taco cabana....and it was perfect. We came back to find Rob passed out snoring on the floor and Mike was in the backyard talking to his sister's friends. I think I crashed or at least tried to at 5 am. Somene was in the living room with a snore that sounded like a death rattle....so I ended up watching the sun rise for about the 3rd time that week....read a little bit of 'trainspotting'...took a shower at 7 am
Saturday: Well, the main reason being in San Antonio was this little thing called drum corps international. Mike and David are huge fans, and I cant remember why me and Suzi and Thomas got dragged into it...but boy, were we in for a treat. Heh. So, after no sleep and a chick fil a breakfast sandwich Mike took us all to the highschool where one of the corps, the Cavaliers, were rehearsing. 10 am and it was already disgustingly hot. Not much seemed to be going on...except a lot of sun scorched buff boys stretching in their boxers. Mike and David and Mas seemed to be enthralled with watching the corps practice marching moves.....I think they were there for an hour. Watching the drum line warm up was cool, but otherwise, I was ready to pass out. The rest of the day was better as we went to the BMW dealership with Mas, watched a dumb movie about spiders, and went to the Mercado for dinner. Suzi got us pina coladas at La Margarita and we wandered around and did San Antonio things. Then David remembered he forgot the tickets and we had to go back to the hotel. So we finally get to the Alamodome and we all split up because we're sitting in different sections. Me and David end up sitting in the nosebleed section......bad for sound, but really great to see formations. I must say I was pretty damn bored at first and due to lack of sleep, I was doing that head bobbing thing passing in and out of consciousness. But then I started paying attention to what was going on and it got more interesting. When you get over the fact that these are a bunch of band nerds, and really listen to the music, and take into account how precise you have to be for everything...it was almost like watching a performance art piece. Everything is chosen so carefully....the flags, the formations, everything coincides with the music. Audio/Visual...like dancing but with colors. Anyway, the Cavaliers won. They had a very impressive show....their sound was perfect, but I kind of liked the Blue Devils because their routine seemed to be a little more creative. Lol, I'm sure this is incredibly boring. I'll stop now. After the show everyone said our goodbyes and I immediately went to sleep.
Sunday: Rob came back after his excursion...he didn't go to DCI, but sea world instead. He had no voice at all....but he tried to tell us about his triumphant scheme to get free beer at the theme park. We all checked out and started back home and got the idea to call Lindsey, who lives outside of Austin and is moving to Buffalo in September. We all met up in Austin and she took us around downtown because I've never seen it. I love Austin! It's smaller than I thought but has a very cool atmosphere. We went to Tower records, a vintage store where Rob tried on some tight brown courdoroy bell bottoms ( hehehe ) and to waterloo records......the music store mecca. We spent a lot of time and David bought a ben folds piano book which i will frequently steal. We had ice cream at Amy's and parted ways.....made it home to Denton in 3 hours after Austin because Rob drives like a badass.
My mom called at midnight which I thought was really weird but she was just doing her mom thing where she was worried about me and so glad I wasnt hurt in my car wreck...she has a friend whose son was killed in a car wreck recently. It made me roll my eyes, but was althewhile kind of comforting that she cared.
10 days left of July. Isn't that crazy? Hmm, that means 70 days til my 21st bday :):):)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home