Saturday, July 30, 2005

I feel mighty; I just heaved the furniture I didn't want to the dumpster. I cleaned the old apartment up. I do my best cleaning in my underwear ( so as not to get clothes dirty ) and with a beer in hand.

Diet starts tomorrow, or as soon as I can find time to buy healthy food. Mayumi and I ate lunch at the "SUPER GRAND BUFFET!!!" down the loop. You know it's a good Chinese Buffet when you've got maccaroni and cheese next to Szechuan Chicken. My fortune cookie, instead of giving me a fortune, gave me a little Chinese phrase...qi guai. It means unique or strange. Tonight at Mayumi's party, I will say "qi-guai" all night. I'm hoping and praying certain party guests will either A) steer clear of any situation where drama will arise, B) Just fuckin BE NICE, or C) not show up if it's going to be an issue. This is *her* party. It is not about you or about me.

Oh, here's something thought-provoking for music nerds:

BYOB by System of a Down. I really hated this song at first...I thought the war protest song had been overdone. They play it a lot on the radio even though it is ridiculous. I didn't like it because it seemed like 2 or 3 songs crammed together with no unifying theme. Lots of screaming. Then I listened to the lyrics and it made so much sense. This is not just a "radio song". I am very surprised they play this on the radion, and am also surprised that it is so wildly popular. This is a piece of music written out of pure rage against the president...it is assymetrical and contradictory..."everybody's going to the party, have a real good time" vs " where the fuck are you? why don't presidents fight the war, why do they always send the poor"... because that's how the band feels about the whole situation. The song at first doesn't really make sense. And neither does the war.

It reminded me of a song we played in HS orchestra one year called " Poet and Peasant Overture" by Von Suppe. Same concept; two completely different parts to one song...one part melodic, the other chaotic.

I love music. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home