Saturday, November 19, 2005

Today is Ben Folds Day! Happy happy happy Ben Folds Day, yay yay yay!

Concert is at 8, and David is coming with me. I was disappointed when Mikeymo couldn't come, and almost heart boken when Matt said " you know honey, I want you to have fun at this concert but truthfully, I don't really like Ben Folds. Can you find someone else to go with you?"

How can someone I am dating and falling in love with, NOT like Ben Folds, my most favorite musician?

I seriously just stared dejectedly at my chicken scampi at Olive Garden for like 20 minutes before I realized that this is a very insignificant detail in the long run. In reality, the Ben Folds' fan base is kind of narrow and esoteric. They're either 30-somethings reliving their college days, ex-music majors, indie kids, or just nerdy girls who think a man is 100 times more attractive behind a piano, like me. I like his music because it's lyrically descriptive...it can be funny/silly or serious and touching. The piano is so versatile; I've always loved it. I guess he's kind of like a 38-year-old Elton John. Oh man, if he covers Tiny Dancer....I think my heart might explode. Not to self: bring lighter.

In other news, saw Harry Potter yesterday night. Half my classes on friday were weary-eyed after seeing the midnight showing. They kept trying to tell me what happened and I'd have to shush them. I pranced all around Matt's apartment saying " Arry Pottah! " in my best British accent. Matt finally asked, " are you calling me a puta?" ( whore) " Your Spahnish ahcent sahcks!"

Anyway, despite being 3 hours long, 'goblet of fire' was the best Harry Potter movie so far. I only got half way through the book this summer, so it's hard to make a comparison. The kids are all looking really attractive, which makes me feel kind of perv-y because they're supposed to be like 14 in the film. I think I read somewhere that they're about 16-17? Well, whatever, Ron Weasley is definitely working out.

I have about 3 other movies I want to see this week. Why this week? BECAUSE I HAVE IT ALLLL OFF! I don't have to go to work until 11/28. I'm going to see Walk The Line, Rent, and March of the Penguins at the dollar movies. I also plan to spend a day with Jessie, bake 2 sourcream apple pies, have about 3 different thanksgiving dinners with family, go to the doctor, dentist, and all the other places I've been putting off, and once again see about trading in the malibu for something new.

Hopefully I can fit in some dancing around the house with a coors lite box on my head.

Despite not liking Ben Folds, things with Matt are going really well. I went to a dinner at his family's last sunday and had real Peruvian food again. I met his abuela and was able to say " Mucho gusto!" He's gotten a new job basically as a nanny. He gets mad when I say this. He works for a rich family with 5 kids. All the kids have some sort of mood or learning disorder, so that's where his psyc skills come into play. The mom has schizophrenia, so he deals with her a lot, too. I can't imagine....it would be fascinating to actually see that in person, but if she had an episode...yikes. He is now getting paid to "counsel" the 15 year old son, who has been caught with pot. They gave him a 5 dollar an hour raise just for that...and he isn't even liscensed yet. I'm so proud of him, but damn is he lucky. Not to mention...he's a good cook, good salsa dancing teacher, and a lot of things I can't mention :) So farrrr, so gooooood.

Well, I'm going to enjoy the rest of my saturday. I should be at the second part of that Foreign Language seminar from last weekend, but it's such a beautiful day, I'll make it up some other time. ( And I really didn't want to see that vile woman again ).

I'll leave you with some lyrics in honor of Ben Folds Day:

I feel like a quote out of context
withholding the rest, so I can be for you what you want to see
I've got the gesture and sound, got the timing down
yeah it's uncanny yeah you'd think it was me
do you think I should take a class to lose my southern accent?
Did I make me up, or make this face til it's stuck
I do the best imitation of myself-- Best Imitation of Myself

Goodnight, good night sweet baby
the world has more for you
than it seems, good night, good night
let the moonlight take the lid off your dreams -- Lullabye

I don't get many things right the first time
in fact, I am told that a lot
but I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles, the falls
they brought me here
And where was I before the day that I first saw your lovely face
now I see it everyday
So I know that am The Luckiest -- The Luckiest

3 Comments:

At 12:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's gonna be such a romantic evening at the concert ;-)

 
At 3:20 PM , Blogger Twentysomething said...

oh shut up. im going to call you during "bastard"....

 
At 3:23 PM , Blogger Twentysomething said...

PS - everybody click "mikeymo's" hyperlink. That's his website from when he was but a wee sophomore. How cute :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home