Sunday, November 20, 2005

Warning: long post drooling over Ben Folds concert ahead. Not a fan? Check back later :)

The concert was everything I was hoping for and more. David and I got lost on the way to the Nokia Theater, but found it just in time. It's very clean and the concert was indoors, when I was expecting something outdoors like Starplex used to be. We shared a 9 dollar beer while the opening band , " The Fray" played. They were alright...nothing really unique about them though. David and I had pretty crappy seats, and I complained at the begining...but then I saw that some people were having to sit in folding seats on the balcony. The place was sold out, full of die hard fans. Ben only comes to DFW once every like, 3 years. The ladies next to us were in their 40's, and the kids in front of us were in high school. All brought together by love of Ben :)

So he comes out casually with hair in his eyes, wearing a navy blazer and chuck taylors. He played piano standing up, crouching, on his knees, but not sitting on his stool until later in the show. His drummer was awesome, though it was hard to hear the bass. The set list was as follows, ( I had to make up a freaking long acronym to remember all this):

1. Gone
2. Trusted
3. Cooler than You
4. Bastard
5. Jesusland
6. The "break-it-down-rock-out" version of Jesusland
7. Still Fighting It
8. You to Thank
9. cover of Long Tall Texan
10. cover of Dr. Dre's "bitches ain't shit"
11. a song he made up on the spot, " Anything is Possible"
12. Annie Waits
13. Landed
14. Fred Jones
15. Evaporated
16. Emaline
17. Brick
18. Army
19. The Ascent of Stan
20. Not the Same
21. Zak and Sara
22. 1 down and 3.6 to go
23. Rockin the Suburbs
24. Philosophy

Oh man. Hilights include:
* Landed sounds so much better stripped down without the crappy easy-listening strings.
* The middle aged ladies next to us freaking out at "bitches ain't shit"
* the piano solos in "you to thank" and "philosophy"
* The beautiful silence during the piano solo in "Fred Jones"
* Audience participation in "Army" and "Not the Same", just like on 'ben folds live'
* "Evaporated". I've forgotten how much I love that song. It brought tears to my eyes.
* Ben beat boxing during "rockin the suburbs" , then jumping on the piano screaming "y'all dont know what it's like -- being male middle class and white!"

Everyone was singing along...it had the same kind of atmosphere as the Dave Matthews Band concerts I went to in high school. I had no voice by the time it was over. :)

Tonight he's in Austin and my sister is seeing him. Today is her 20th birthday...so if you know the infamous Miss Em, send her a facebook msg or something. Thus begins my week off. I played circle of death last night with Matt and his friends.

I do not recommend this game to anyone. That is all. Back to bed.

1 Comments:

At 7:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

how funny, i just bought some songs from "The Fray" just the other day!

...super jealous about the concert

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home