Thursday, June 15, 2006

New York here I come!

The apartment is badass, even though the sunroom is merely an overhang off my bedroom with big windows.

Story Time.

While sitting in the middle of my new living room staring at the walls and making lists ( as I do when I inherit a new space ), I kind of stepped outside myself. I got this apartment all on my own, with my own credit, with my own money. I am going to buy all the furniture that goes in it; NOT in credit because I know myself better than to do that. I will shop and compare and buy one thing at a time. Almost every day last year, I got in my car at 6 AM and drove through heart-stopping traffic to a job that beat me down and I swore I'd quit ( where the veteran teachers roll their eyes and talk behind my back " she really needs to get on the ball " ). I'd let this go to my head than realize...wait what were most these women doing when they were 22-23? Passed out drunk at the frat house house with their panties nowhere to be found. THAT'S RIGHT! Erm, anyway, I persevered and will be back to kick ass next year.

I thought about the Sarahbeth of yesteryear, so very passive and scared. The girl who thought that writing my school notes in perfect handwriting would get me better grades; who was so quiet and demure but wanted to be noticed so badly. I used to write poetry. Really, really crappy poetry. It was all about the depths of dispair, dark holes and broken hearts...blah di blah, typical teenaged angsty stuff. I spent countless hours lying awake when I was supposed to be sleeping, formulating my life in my head as I thought it should be; right down to conversations I would have with people. I don't do that anymore. I don't know what happened...I usually attribute it to college and hitting the bottom of social isolation but I met people. I realized that so many others felt like I did. They told me I was really interesting. I let the me who had so much to say come out, as cheesy as that sounds. What you're looking at now, or recently, depending on how long you've known me -- is about 20 years of questions and thoughts and experiences bursting out. I'll say it all. Sometimes this gets me in trouble, but it's worth it.

Old Sarah would have killed herself by now, or would be in a mental facility, or would be living at home still working at Hallmark at least. :) She would never have been able to make it on her own.

Miss New Booty has to pack now. No blogging for 4 days at least. I know, about 2-4 loyal readers are about to be super bored. What you can do in the meantime is this:

1. Watch "the red violin"....I rented this last night. It's got Samuel L. Jackson and a whole bunch of foreign people in it. It's a bit long but it's so good! I'm not saying that to seem snooty or artsy; I know a movie about a violin sounds like it would be, but it's just a really good story. Watch it watch it.
2. Make a sandwich. I've been in a sandwich mood all week. You must get the deli-shaved turkey NOT what comes pre-packed. My recommendation is peppered smoked turkey with provolone and honey mustard on honey wheat. I like honey flavored things.
3. Take a bubble bath with bath & body works sweet pea bubbles. It smells good, and my mom calls me sweet pea. I will call my own child sweet pea one day.
4. And let's not kid ourselves, go ahead and grab a bottle of white rum. Baccardi Island Breeze Coconut or Lime is good. Mix with soda, and have yourself a Sarah kind of night.

( If you want to do it up big, download karaoke to your computer and dance around your room and sing like you've never sang before. Stevie Wonders "superstition", Queen's " bohemian rhapsody", and The Bangle's "Eternal Flame" are some of my favorites for karaoke.)

I'll bring back lots of pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home