ohmygodohmygodohmygod.
i dont wanna jinx it. but i gots a phone call today. references are being checked.
( iswearpeople, answeryourphonesmylivelihooddependsonit).
sweating bullets here.
so i can't talk about that yet. but, i will say that matt took me to my first trip to the fine dining establishment known as red lobster. the fiesta lobster rolls are exquisite.
we had some issues. we're both playing defense. i asked him the all-important-but-sorta-not question of " so religion/politics/stance on issues?" i guess to push some buttons. i don't know why i do that.
and i got " catholic, non-practicing...voted for Bush...pro-choice, does support the war, does not support gay marriage, and considers himself to be liberal"
WHAT?!?!?!
So we had a little chat. See, a lot of things I could overlook, but the fact that he kept contradicting himself, that he had no real defense for his stances....I just got really mad. And that's not really like myself. I even yelled, " WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT? You work in a state-funded social program. Your roommate and best friend are gay, and you act all cool about that and then say you don't approve of his lifestyle?! You know guys from your highschool that have died in the war and you still support it? You're Hispanic!"
Yeah, it was bad. He went off on me for making snap judgements. Ok, he was right about that. My friend Jon who works at the bar sat down to talk. Jon is pretty much a free-lance photographer and has that "look". Matt was looking very-clean cut and professional. I guess I would compare it to Ben Stiller and Ethan Hawke in " Reality Bites". So, I knew I wouldn't be able to get Jon in the conversation because I knew they wouldn't see eye to eye on anything. I turned around and Matt had gone. I found him talking to another friend on the other side of the bar.
Later I introduced him to Trevor and we sat out on his balcony smoking sweet & milds (blech). And he said something along the lines of " you know I'm sorry about that. I'm not used to that. And when you explained yourself, I knew you what you were saying made a lot of sense. I just answered the way I thought a Texan would answer. Every Texas girl I've dated has been pretty conservative, and I admit that every white girl I've dated has been pretty closed-minded. It's hard to admit to someone else they're right."
And I apologized too. We both agree that we are both used to having the upper hand in a relationship/dating situation. We both have psychology backgrounds and know a lot of silly mind games. Trusting someone's judgement isn't so easy at first. We acknowledged that power struggles might happen a lot. And honestly, I don't know why I got so bent out of shape, yes, the issues we argued about are important, but I think I truly would have been more upset if it turned out he hated all music, thought psychology was for weenies, or didn't like a good steak once in awhile.
It's just what's important to me.
But he did win brownie points by saving a baby bird yesterday :)
But for the record, he agreed that the war wasn't so good, that if his roommate wanted to marry a dude he'd be fine with it, and he would fight tooth and nail to make sure the kids he works with get the funding they need to keep getting rehabilitated. So hooray.
So here goes another day of waiting by the phone afterall. And Miss Amy K, I love your pictures. The b&w ones of the 1204 girls are really funny :) Thanks for the comment and the prayers, and I hope you had fun at UM Army. You keep up the job hunt too. I'm rootin' for ya.

1 Comments:
Thanks for the encouragment and support, Sarah. :) I'm starting my job search in two weeks when I get back from being a counselor at church camp. So we'll see what happens, right?
As for you, that is awesome...hang in there and keep waiting patiently. And keep us informed! I wish you the best of luck.
Oh and kudos to you for sticking up for what you believe in with Matt and being honest about it from the start. :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home