A Real-Life Phone Conversation Between My Best Friend and I:
Suzi: Hey babe, how'd that interview go?
Sarah: Interview went well, didn't get the job. Meh.
Su: Yeah, story of my life. Seriously, if they weren't even going to consider you, they should tell you right there and then. I'm a big girl, I can take it.
Sa: Yeah. I've been sleeping next to my phone for the past week in case they call at 8 AM. So what are you doing?
Su: Oh, at the Lubbock walmart. You know that fake lake between Casa Olé and here? Well, it hasn't rained in so long it dried up.
Sa: Nooo! Not Lake Casa Olé! First uprooting Prairie Dog Town, and now Lake Casa Olé, what's next? Blowing The Strip [ the liquor stores outside city limits ] to smithereens?
Su: You were right all along. Lubbock blows. What are you doing?
Sa: Oh, watching TV...
Su: Cool. So I think I may really have to live at home in August. I've applied to so many jobs here and I got nothin'. I didn't spend nearly 100 grand on college to make 8.50 an hour at the bank. You know, you could move back too and we could work at Hobby Lobby. Or the new mall on 190.
Sa: Uhhhh....I really don't think I could live at home. Maybe in their tool shed or... a tent in front of your house. How's Ricardo?
Su: God, he's on my last nerve. He's on the couch right now in his underwear playing playstation. He has his pharmacy exam in 2 weeks and hasn't cracked a book. He turned my apartment into a bat cave. At first he would cook and clean but now it's like having a baby.
Sa: You know, I lied before. I said I was watching TV, but I'm sitting on my couch right now also in my underwear eating chocolate chip cookies. I'm so depressed.
Su: .....
Sa: OK I lied again! I'm actually too lazy to make cookies. I'm just eating the chocolate chips out of the bag. But the only reason I'm sitting here in my underwear is my A/C is out. It's miserable here.
Su: Aww, hey, at least you can afford chocolate chips. That's a luxury. And yeah, the job thing...why is it so damn hard? I can't even get on facebook [.com] anymore because I'm too tired of seeing how successful everyone else is.
Sa: I KNOW!!!! They [ some old highschool/college classmates ] make it seem like employers are just knocking down their doors. What the fuck. I'm going to be eating rice and pb&j forever.
Su: we gotta hang out some time this summer...when gas isn't so expensive....
Sa: yeah, I got some chocolate chips and a spot on the couch with your name on it. And if we put our pennies together, we might even be able to buy some beer. Or some wine in a box if we're really rollin'.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I miss my friend. Sometimes it feels like we've grown so much apart, but other times, we have the same crazy banter like we did when we were 13 in Coach Roth's gym class, hiding behind the pole so we could avoid playing 'cone ball'.
And yeah, the job thing, I know it will work itself out. We will both find *something*. But dammit, if I learned anything from my brief stint in counseling ( which, I guess I can't knock it anymore since I'm sorta dating a counselor), is that before you can move on/get right back on the horse, you have to have enough time to grieve loss or disappointment. Or, you won't really have the right kind of motivation/won't have learned anything.
So today, I am grieving not getting that job. I will be as mopey and miserable as I want to be.
We can be happy underground! Who's got the looks, who's got the brains, who's got everything...I got this pain in my heart, that's all... Ben Folds, 'Underground'

1 Comments:
I have returned, read all your entries, and have a few thoughts...
1. I'm guessing I'm "A moment like this." Gee, that was hard. ;)
2. How healthy is dorito casserole?
3. I don't like Joey all grown up. She shoulda stayed with Dawson.
4. I will echo Lindsey's "Awwwww!"
Haha, it IS great to hear that you are so happy...with the new guy, and with finding closure with the past. I'm glad you are in a good spot in your life. I'm finally in a good one myself. Yay, US! We have come so far since where we were during spring semester.
5. First of all, congrats on being so awesome at your interview! I thought it sounded like you were prepared and went in there with confidence, which rocks! I am sorry that you didn't get the job, though. But when God closes one door, He opens another, so just keep believing that He will provide. And like you said, you know what to expect for future interviews. I encourage you to hang in there and keep applying...we'll figure it out with time.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home