Friday, June 24, 2005

You know, I really don't do all that well with change come to think of it.


While I welcome a change and look forward to it, I have this defense mechanism of clinging to the familiar. I get all nostalgic. It was cool to just walk around the mall yesterday and think " if I wanted to, I could buy this Michael Kors purse at the end of August, without having to save up for it". Or, simply walking around knowing that I will NEVER HAVE TO WORK IN A DEPARTMENT STORE AGAIN. Now that was a great feeling. I went to a teacher's supply store to see if they had any cool borders or posters. I feel powerful and confident.

But, it hit me last night after a few of my old friends came to visit me at the bar and meet Matt ( thanks Nicole and Brandon ), that I will really, really miss college. After a few drinks I didn't only miss college...the places, the people....I missed pretty much everything and everyone I was lacking at that moment. People or events I hadn't thought of in years.

I dreamt about my freshman year dorm last night. In this bed, I could sleep through anything. At first Nicole and I were so afraid of falling out, but after a few months, I slept better here than at home. I will miss staying up on AIM until 3 am, sleeping til 8, going to class, eating lunch, and napping til dinner. Those days are long gone.

I also dreamt about the summer my dad bought us all season tickets to the Dallas Summer Musicals. I'm not a big musical theater fan ( although I would kill to see Avenue Q or Spamalot ) , but it was just nice to get dressed up, eat dinner, and be entertained for awhile on sunday nights. I think I was about 17 then...Suzi came with us once or twice. We saw " Annie Get Your Gun"which inspired me to draw up a fake playbill called "Suzi Get Your Gun" for her birthday. Yeah. We were weird.

Now that I'm going to teach high school, I've been looking back in fondness at my 4 years at Garland. And then I remember staying up til 4:30 crying trying to get my anatomy and physiology lab done. ( I never worked as hard [without being rewarded with good grades] in college as I did say, my jr. year in high school. )

I miss so many people. Nothing is the same and it's surreal. I'm sure everything is for the best....but well, you know how it is.

I'd better squeeze everybit of college-aged reckless abandon out of these last 3 or so weeks. Keep bail money on hand. ( They've already done my criminal background check, so el job don't gots to know!) Jk jk jk jk.

Bonsoir :)

1 Comments:

At 6:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change IS scary, I'm dealing with that myself right now. You aren't alone...we just gotta make the most of the last bit of free time we have. And thank God that He knows what He is doing.

I am off to lead a cabin of junior high girls at camp this week, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck as you begin to prepare for this next school year and relax and have fun too. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home